Picking -PLC, Raspberry Software(MQTT/Node-Red), Database, Coding Language(PC/phone)

raguilas

Help will be Rewarded in the future I promise

Good evening everyone

I 'm working on a personal project, hope someone would be so kind and could help me providing some information/guidance on this subject

I want to make automation using Raspberry and a PLC

I got a recommendation to use Wago combined with raspberry because this PLC brand has a driver called Codesys that helps to connect Raspberry Pi3 with the PLC, I found a lot of tutorials about it involving MQTT, Node-Red and others; since I'm not very familiar with Raspberry yet, it's been tough to pick one or other way of communication to read/write information from/to Wago PLC

Another inconvenient I have is the budget, Wago is a little bit more expensive than other PLCs, since it's a project with lots of i/o(s), scaling this project to something bigger would cost me a lot, so I was thinking of using Siemens 1200 PLC(SIMATIC CPU 1214C) instead

Another option I was thinking of is using the ET200 SP CPU module, if I use it I was told it wasn't necessary to buy the SIMATIC CPU 1214C PLC, besides the I/O Modules are cheaper than regular I/O modules for the ET200 SP than for the 1214 CPU, ET200 provides up to 32 i/o modules, I don't know if RPI3, MQTT/Node-Red are compatible with only ET200 SP with no use of another PLC

I found on youtube videos about S7-1200 been compatible with raspberry using Snap7 Phyton, MQTT/Node-Red as well, S7 been compatible with Java and C# and sharp 7 libraries, different OPC types, so the list is so long that I can't even imagine

I attach an image of the scheme I'd like to use for the network architecture

Hope someone please could give me some advice

Thanks in advance

Best regards

https://imgur.com/rr1OVyE

OK
#1 - why do you have a raspberry pi between PLC and database? What is the database and why can't the PLC talk to it directly?
#2 - if you're throwing hobbyist-grade electronics into the mix, why even have a PLC? Just let the Raspberry Pi do all the thinking.

My input: get rid of the PLC or the RPi. Preferably get rid of the PLC and keep the RPi since this is a home automation hobby project. The RPi can do anything a PLC can do (minus be reliable and fast) especially once you add some "Remote I/O" :ROFLMAO: to it.

Also get rid of the separate database and just put it on the local PC.

I also recommend RPi over PLC because it sounds like you want to learn some programming. RPi typically requires some Python to get it to do what you want, and learning Python will give you big (but temporary) ego high because it's so easy.

rpi.png

Wago is really open when it comes to protocols available.

With the Raspberry pi you could with a bit of electronics implement Serial Modbus over RS485... which would be mostly a learning experience.

Or...

use the 750-352 Ethernet coupler and communicate directly with IO via Modbus TCP. It won't be the fastest I suppose so you'll have to judge the speed requirements yourself, but it is an option.

If you want to make it more reliable, I would ditch the Raspberry Pi altogether (remember that you also need to maintain the system), I would then create a driver directly in the PC that holds the database to read UDP multicasts and use a S7-1200 to send out the data in UDP multicasts instead.
Although you can use drivers to communicate with the PLC's, Siemens allows the flexibility of using standard network communication protocols which make the management of the system easier.

You could use the rPi with Codesys on it and communicate with a S7 1200 PLC using MODBUS. Keep in mind that the 1200 might be cheaper, but you will need the engineering package to.
I've used the rPi with arduino boards as Remote IO (on MODBUS), is this something you could use?
I made a video on that some years back, https://youtu.be/s5FROBhPho4.

What are you trying to do? It might be easier for us to propose a solution?