A-b Cables

Jnelson

The company i work for recently bought two used machines one with a slc 5\01 and one with a slc 5\02.

Since i am not farmilar with ab plc's, I figured you guys would be the ones to help.

I purchased rs logix to do the programming and troubleshooting, but i am not sure what cables i need to connect to these processors.

My allen bradley book is older than i am so it is of no help.

If anyone can help me with part numbers i would appreciate it.

Also if any other information is needed about processor or laptop, i will respond asap.

Thanks,
John

Surprisingly enough, you can connect to the A-B 9-pin ports using a standard 9-pin null modem cable.

Pinouts on the CH0 DF1 port are 2 RXD, 3 TXD, 5 GND, 8 CTS, 7 RTS

Actually the 5/01 and 5/02 don't have a ch0 port on them (only on the 5/03 and higher). You need a 1747-PIC to connect directly to these or an AIC(s) to network them on a DH-485.

GRS

The 5\02 processor is running a hmi on a local computer and is using a pic box.The 5\01 does not have this though.

So what you are saying is that all i need to connect to either one of these is a pic and the cables from the pic to the plc and the pic to the pc.

The current pic is pn 1747-pic.

So, does anyone know the cable part numbers?

Thanks,
John

The 1747-PIC ships with the cable to connect to the SLC (1747-C10 I believe) and includes a ribbon cable with a 25 pin connector for the pc. All you would need (possibly) is an adapter if your pc has a 9 pin serial port.

yes you do need a 1747-pic(generally for notebooks) or a dh-485 linc coupler(adapter interface module 1747-aic, used to link to data highway). the pic is quite expensive unless you pic one up from ebay....

Thanks alot, that's all i needed to know for now.

This is a new adventure and i am sure i'll be running into more problems.

Thanks,
John

If using a laptop save yourself a LOT of headaches, get the 1784-PCMK (pcmcia) card. The 1747-PIC was a good device but is outdated in alot of ways and computer technology is changing and the PIC is being left out of it in some ways.

They say the PIC is expensive, well the PCMK is way more so BUT it elinminates problems connecting to a variety of AB products, just have to obtain the appropriate cable.

http://www.ab.com/manuals/cn/netssp064ause.pdf