Kinetix 5500 bugs

vinay.chawla

I've had a few strange experiences with Kinetix 5500 drives. Sharing the most recent one.

I have a setup of 14 axes with 3 on Kinetix 6500 and rest of 11 on Kinetix 5500 (in two groups).

One of my colleagues accidentally left the digital encoder feedback cable disconnected from one of the Kinetix 5500 drive. Ideally I must have been getting faults related to motor detection on that particular drive. Instead, all drives including the Kinetix 6500 group got stuck into "configuring" stage. Studio application also didn't help identifying the real reason behind it.

Finally, I troubleshooted this issue by unscheduling the each and every axis one by one and found which drive was faulty.

Finally we corrected the problem with same address.

Anyone else with similar experience here?

We are having a very similar issue.

How exactly did you "unscheduled" each drive, and how did you know which drive was faulty?

Then how did you correct the problem?

thanks for your help.

Steve

We got OUR problem solved....

None of the drives were faulty.

All it involved, was moving the Ethernet connection from the rear jack on the CompactLogix, to the front jack.

Our engineer thinks the rear jack was compromised, possibly because of a backlog of errors piled up in the flash memory?

We will do a firmware upgrade to the CompactLogix in the near future.

Steve

Just a note. I've had this same issue happen when the encoder on a VPL motor was water-damaged. If you have this issue, it's worth checking that the motor/encoder has not been damaged in some way or alternatively that the cable/plugs have not been damaged in some way.