pump control by plc

phaniraj kvs

P
My problem is that i want to control water level in a over head tank using a plc .that means to switch off the pump when the tank fills and to switch on the pump when the tank becomes empty .
I am not able to find a device that will give signal to PLC indicating the water level, a sensor that gives a actuating
signal to plc regarding the water level .
So please give me a solution ,so that i can automate my over head tank using a PLC.

Floats are a good choice, and another is electrode type level switches. Warwick, Omega Engineering, and others make them.

A more elegant solution would be to use a pressure transmitter at the bottom of the tank and an analog input on the PLC. The upside is now you know the tank level continuously and you can adjust the high/low trip points at the PLC without physically going into the tank. The down side is slightly higher cost, but by the time you include installation and wiring I'm not sure that is significant.

There needs to be a warning that you are posting in a really old thread here. I've seen it used in other forums (as well as something that warns you when someone beat you to the punch and posted something before you did). 2 useful things this forum is lacking.