PanelBuilder32 help

I am trying to upload a program out of a pv550. I have the cable and rslinx sees the pv550. When I go to upload it tells me that I have no comm driver. Anyone have any ideas. I’m running Windows 7 pro. I have the serial port and the usb cable. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

You're going to have to give more details. There are many models that support different communication protocols. Give the catalog number of the PanelView and the part numbers of all cables involved.

Here, you need to go to page 202 and read those few pages.

MAKE SURE YOU OHM OUT YOUR CABLE AND VERIFY THE PINOUT

Seriously, experience talking here. I couldn't get one to actually talk with PB32. Turns out that these things want a straight-through cable as opposed to a crossover cable, with the latter being the common cable.

Your cable will configure, but you won't actually be able to transmit any data.

Check page 223 as well. It has specific info on the transfer cable, which is just a straight-through cable.

Last edited:
I am trying to upload a program out of a pv550. I have the cable and rslinx sees the pv550. When I go to upload it tells me that I have no comm driver. Anyone have any ideas. I’m running Windows 7 pro. I have the serial port and the usb cable. Thanks.

The OP said RSlinx sees the PV.

See pdf

The OP said RSlinx sees the PV.

They are quirky. You have to use the right cable and in the right port (if there are two) to do the transfer. It is different from what you might typically experience when connecting to an SLC or something with RS232 and DF1. RSLinx seeing it doesn't mean at all that PB32 can do the transfer.

OP, you also may need to tell PanelBuilder to use RSLinx instead of a direct connection. This is an option on the upload/download popup.

Check your version of RSLinx. Starting at V4.0 and up it will no longer allow you to upload or download to the PanelViews. When you click on upload, a pop-up shows up telling you that "The version of RSLinx available on this machine needs to be updated:". In my case it tells me that my current version is 4.11 and the minimum required version is 2.20. If you click on OK, it will still open the upload file dialog box, but under "Transfer Type" the program says "No communication drivers available". That is the only option in the drop down menu. See images attached.

Exception.PNG NoComms.PNG

Check your version of RSLinx. Starting at V4.0 and up it will no longer allow you to upload or download to the PanelViews. When you click on upload, a pop-up shows up telling you that "The version of RSLinx available on this machine needs to be updated:". In my case it tells me that my current version is 4.11 and the minimum required version is 2.20. If you click on OK, it will still open the upload file dialog box, but under "Transfer Type" the program says "No communication drivers available". That is the only option in the drop down menu. See images attached.
See this thread for the fix for this issue -- basically you need to put a copy of DTL32.dll from a previous version of RSLinx into your PB32 folder.

Is there a way to move the panlbuilder32 to another computer

Yes. You have to move the activation, but you can reinstall it on another computer, and move your activation over. It can often be done online, but if I recall correctly, Rockwell offers free activation support. I don't believe they check on PB32 activations anymore, though, as they have retired that software. I think you can just enter your serial number and be good.

Is there a way to move the panlbuilder32 to another computer

As is being said, PanelBuilder32 is a free to use software product and no longer requires an activation or master disk to use it. Simply install it again on the new computer, enter the serial number and it should just work.

ID: QA2865 | Access Levels: Everyone
PanelBuilder32 activation

On my "Activation Certificate" that came with the PanelBuilder32 CD (2711-ND3), it says the following in the "magic box"...

----------------------------------------------------------------
¦ PanelBuilder32 Config. SW
¦ Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXX (10-digit number)
¦ Revision: 3.83.01
¦ Product Key: N/A
¦ Activation Type: N/A
¦ To activate, insert software CD and follow prompts
----------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the "N/A" stands for "Not Applicable" for the activation criteria.

Regards,
George