Ethernet connection to GE 9030.

BigAl

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working with on an application which has 4 separate machines spaced approximately 120 feet apart. Each machine each has its own GE 9030 PLC with a full rack of I/O. Originally recipes were loaded into each machine using Optimate screens. Over the years the amount of recipes required has outgrown the memory capacity of the optimate screen.
We would now like to network all of the machines together on an ethernet network, and load recipes from a central computer. Unfortunately the rack is completely full of I/O, so there is no open slot for a GE ethernet module. I see some companies offering ethernet to serial converters. I also see that they are comparatively inexpensive.
I would like to know if anyone has had any success with this type of converter, with a GE Fanuc 9030 PLC. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

GE Fanuc sells an Ethernet to Serial adaptor IC200SET001, and should work fine for occasional data transfer. I recommend using a Quick Panel View (Windows CE or XP) as your recipe handler.
Another option, if possable would be to combine two 16 point modules into 1 - 32 point module and use the Ethernet module. In my opinion this would be better, faster and more reliable. The SE adaptor supports one channel of ethernet and the module supports 16.
You can do the same thing through the existing serial ports with the QuckPanel View, an RS-485 network using SNP protocol would work fine. But then you would have 1 screen instead of 4 screens.

You could also use the IC693CPU364, it has a Ethernet Port as well, but it'll run you at least $2000 usually, so that would $8000 just for the CPU's for your 4 PLC's.

I also believe that if you use the 374 CPU Eric mentioned that you will need to be using Cimplicity Machine Edition(Proficy) to program it I don't think VersaPro supports it.

As for the SET001's, I use them on VersaMax Micro's to get Ethernet communications, but depending on how you plan to get the recipes into the PLC's they may or may not work.