Beckhoff and Festo PLC comparison to Siemens S7

kemppioy

Hello,

I think this is the best place to get information from experienced PLC programmers so I have a question regarding Beckhoff and Festo PLC's. We are currently considering changing from Siemens S7 (normally 315-DP2) to Festo or Beckhoff PLC's. This is a price issues because we can get the Beckhoff PLC for almost half the price of Siemens S7. Of course as a programmer I know that just changing to a different vendor is never as easy as it sounds. I would like to know if anyone has advice or opinions on the Festo or Beckhoff PLC's. Pros and cons would be nice if someone has the time and has had experience.

We normally have applications where we have to turn valves on/off in 50ms intervals or sometimes less so timed/cyclic interrupts are very important for our process. Other than that our I/O are normally standard 16/32 digital input or output cars and standary analog input/output cards. Normally we don't need encoder cards since these days so many manufacturers of drives and motors have profibus or canbus connections where we don't need that. The systems are generally small and we use Wonderware Intouch if the customer wants a nice package with datalogging and advanced features and have been using Siemens WinCC flexible compact software with Op177 panels if there is no reason to use a PC. Profibus has been the preferred network but we are moving into Ethernet and don't have anything against that.

I would like opinions on the structure of the PLC and how it compares to S7. Maximum datablock size, naming convention, maximum length of tagnames or symbols, ease of integration with panel software from the same manufacturer (e.g. WinCC Flexible works great with S7 to get tagnames directly to the panel from the PLC panel). Types of programming available e.g. ladder, STL, SCL, function block.

Thanks!

PK