Siemens s5 to Allen Bradley Panelview

stallone

Hi guys,

i have a machine running Siemens s5 plc, my old scada has died and gone away for good:(

I want to connect a panelview plus 600, that i have in stock, to this machine.

I have Kepware server and i am trying to create a few alarms for now.

I have created a few tags in the kepware, but now i am trying to run the ftview me program to see if the tags are working.

Are there any special tricks to make these 2 units speak to each other?

I have managed to create the tags in kepware and also i have created a test button on my ftview program, and i have successful communications,
if i press button, the correct output comes on in the s5 plc.

My problem is, i have created alarms, message and trigger, but im testing the alarm trigger in runtime but the alarm just will not pop up.

The alarm screen may not be configured to pop up on alarms.

Create yourself a regular screen with an alarm display object on it, and give yourself a button to navigate to this display. See if your alarms are displaying correctly. If you can get them displaying correctly there, you can then start trying to make the alarms window pop up on an alarm, if you still want to do that. I never do, personally - I just light up my alarm page button in red whenever there's a fault, to prompt the operator to go and look at it. Sometimes I'll have a line status indicator to tell them operator there is an alarm, or a small alarm display banner displaying the most recent alarm at the bottom of the screen.

hi guys
picking up on this old post,
finally getting back to this project.

I have made an application using FTview me ver 5.10,
i have the laptop connected to the Siemens S5 plc using the serial cable and i have communications if i test the runtime file on me station on the laptop, all is good. i get the alarms and all seems great.

I then transfer the hmi file to the HMI and i just cant get comms with the S5 using the serial cable.

Is there a special cable to use?
Is there a special trick to using the kepware on the panelview.
When i did a frimware upgrade on the hmi, i did select the Siemens s5 drive on installation.

Any help will be welcomed:)

I'm not sure of which cables you need, or what the pinout should be, but one thing to check:

In your Communication Setup in FTView, there are two tabs - Design and Runtime. By default, the window opens in Design. The communications structure you set up there is used when you test the application on your laptop.

The communications structure used by the Panelview Plus is the structure you set up in the Runtime tab. So if you've only set up your Design communications path, it will work when you test, but not when you download to the PVP and run it there.

There is a button labelled "Copy from Design to Runtime" or something similar, which does exactly what the name suggests: copies the Design communication setup to the Runtime communication setup. Click that button, re-create your runtime application and try again.

Also, make sure when you download the runtime file to the PVP that you check the option to replace the runtime configuration on the PVP with the one from your file. And make sure in the PVP settings that it is set to get the communications setup from the runtime file each time it loads, rather than just maintaining its last known path.

Check all of those things out; if you still have problems, then I'd start looking into cables and pinouts.

Thank you for the reply.

Funny thing, if i look in the communications tab and i look under the design confiugration, there is nothing there.

I tried to say copy from design to runtime but still i had issues.
I also tried to create a device shortcut and browse to the PLC, but i am assuming that linx wont let me browse to a Siemens S5 plc?

I am using the serial com port from the Panelview 700 and connecting to the Siemens S5. and i just get the error "trouble writing a value of 1 to tagname"

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how the communications setup works for a Kepware project. I've done it once, but it was probably 6 years ago now. So perhaps I'm steering you in the wrong direction.

Perhaps just go over the comms setup documentation for the kepware side of things and double check that you have everything right from that end - and then I guess, cables and pinouts are the next thing to double check.

Perhaps someone with more kepware experience than me will pop their head in and tell you what I've forgotten ;)