File Path in RSLogix

godfrey

When I go to Tools/Options/ in RSLogix 500 and attempt to change anything and then select Apply, I get the following error "Invalid Path For Project Files/Path Must Have File Write Access" Has anybody seen this? My version is 5.00.00.

I had the same thing happen to me in Windows ME with versions 5.2 & 5.5. When I upgraded to W2K and XPpro the problem went away. I never did figure out how to fix it in WinME.

Rob

I have a printout from the A/B Knowledge Base on
how to fix this in my office somewhere.

I won't get back to the office for a couple of days
so if you 're in a hurry search the Knowledge Base at the A/B site.

Last edited:
Make sure the folder you are specifying is not read-only.

Hello,

I had the same issue. I was able to resolve it by changing the permissions on the folder, which my system had set to read-only.

Make sure the folder you are specifying is not read-only.

-Ryan

Seem like the old links are now dead, also the knowledgebase article is nowhere to be found.

Does anyone have an update on this? This problems has been going on for almost two decades now...

There were three separate possible solutions.

1. Change the path to a location where you do have access. Watch the secondary save option as it might be the cause of the error if it is writing to a destination that does not exist.

2. Hold the CTRL + SHIFT buttons and then launch the software. Keep the buttons pressed until the software fully opens. Then let go, close the software and start it normally. This resets the registry settings to a fresh install. Files don't get lost, but all settings revert to default.

3. From the Control Panel ==> Programs, do a Repair Installation.

The Knowledgebase article is still there but the link probably changed since it was posted here nearly 17 years ago.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9524

OG

There were three separate possible solutions.

1. Change the path to a location where you do have access. Watch the secondary save option as it might be the cause of the error if it is writing to a destination that does not exist.

2. Hold the CTRL + SHIFT buttons and then launch the software. Keep the buttons pressed until the software fully opens. Then let go, close the software and start it normally. This resets the registry settings to a fresh install. Files don't get lost, but all settings revert to default.

3. From the Control Panel ==> Programs, do a Repair Installation.

The Knowledgebase article is still there but the link probably changed since it was posted here nearly 17 years ago.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9524

OG
Thanks for the link!

Ran into this with RSLogix 500 v12.00.00 on Windows 10 Pro and solution 1 below worked with one caveat--it still kept popping up the error on Apply or OK, but after cancelling (as other options didn't work), it turned out the changes had been successfully applied despite the popups. Opening options again showed the changed paths (as well as desired diagnostics integration in tree).

Current KB article link: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/9524

Current content:

Summary
RSLogix 500: Invalid path for project files. Path must have file write access

Problem
The following: error appears when attempting to deselect (and Apply) any of the System Options under Tools --> Options...

Invalid path for project files. Path must have file write access

Cause
One or more paths defined on the Tools --> Options --> System Preferences tab cannot be accessed.

Solution 1
Enter valid paths that do not point to CD or floppy drives that may be empty, or to inaccessible network drives or folders. You can change the Secondary Save Path by checking the Enable Secondary Save box on the same screen (Uncheck it again when finished if you do not want to use that feature).

Solution 2
Alternatively you can restore the default paths by resetting the RSLogix500 software using the following procedure. Be sure all Rockwell Software is closed down before proceeding:

1. Hold down the CTRL+SHIFT keys while starting RSLogix500 English.
  2. Once the software has booted completely, release the CTRL+SHIFT keys and close down RSLogix500 English.
  3. Then, go to Start --> Find (or Search) and search for a file named RS500.ini.
  4. (The RSLogix500 Starter English file will be RS500s.ini)
  5. If the RS500.ini file is found (it may not exist), delete it.
  6. Restart RSLogix500.
Now all the paths on the System Preferences tab should be valid and the System Options should be selectable.

Solution 3
Repair RSLogix 500 following the steps below:

1. Navigate to Control Panel and Programs and Features.
  2. Locate RSLogix 500 and right-click select option Change.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select Repair and Next.
  5. Click Next
    Note: Do not select Enable FactoryTalk Security (unless you are using it).
  6. Click Install.
  7. Check if your RSLogix 500 is working.

Welcome to the forum witman. Unfortunately, your 1st post breaks a rule that might get the forum in trouble. You see, Allen-Bradley charges a ransom for information related to its bugs and by posting quoted text from protected information which has "Access Levels: TechConnect" you are breaking the rule.

The most common workaround for this dilemna is to read the technote, then share your personal knowledge of the solution to the problem in your own words.

I know several of the Rockwell products still have problems with using long filenames. I usually put everything for Rockwell in C:\Temp

My PC won't let me pick a path on the cloud based drive we use (Google Drive) even though I have read and write access to it. I somehow got the path set to what I wanted it to be but I cannot remember how I did it. I want to say I edited the ini file or the registry, but CRS.