ML1400 ethernet connections

clupie

Hello, I have an application with 12 FTView ME computers connected to a MicroLogix 1400 using Ethernet. My application works fine but the reaction time is slow. Up to 5 seconds to change status on the display. The ML1400 can handle up to 32 connections and I see 13 total message connections on the channel 1 connections display. 12 FTViewME and 1 PanelView.
Is there a way to speed up my application? I've tried changing the update rate on the display with no results. There are no collisions or communication errors on the ML1400. I would think the ML should be able to handle less than half of the max connections.
Couple things that seem odd. The connections page show 13 incoming message connections and 0 outgoing message connections. I can see the booloean change on the PLC when I touch the screen but the screen update takes up to 5 seconds.
Maybe I'm limited by the bandwidth of the ML1400 but would like to see if anyone has tried something similar with better results.
Thanks

My settings are:
Auto negotiate:Enabled
Port Speed: 100Mbps
Full duplex

I have checked with my IT guy and he says the network setup is good

I originally had the refresh rate at 50ms. Have the rate at 1 sec now. Doesn't seem to affect the response time

It would slow your HMIs making them feel more sluggish.

That is a bunch of HMIs trying to talk to a small product, can't say I've ever seen that many that wasn't Controllogix with a separate Ethernet module just to service the traffic.

I'm sure Ken can help you on this.

As you have seen, the 32 connection limit on the MicroLogix 1400 is split up into Incoming and Outgoing connections of 16 each.

Twelve PanelViews is far more than a small machine-level controller like the MicroLogix 1400 generally handles, so I'm sure you're going to find evidence of folks doing a similar application.

I found a Knowledgebase document that suggets that a maximum of three PanelView Plus terminals can be connected to a MicroLogix 1400, Answer ID #53463. (Access Level: Everyone).

But I disagree with its premise. The PanelView Plus terminal's ability to use multiple CIP protocol connections over a single TCP network connection is a well known issue with ControlLogix/CompactLogix, but I don't know if the same mechanisms are at work with the MicroLogix 1100/1400.

I'd start by checking the Display Update rates on the PV+ projects; the 1 second default update can appear slower, in my experience.

If you can experiment with response times by connecting one PV+ terminal at a time to the controller, that would be another useful test.