S7 Local Variables Explanation

lanester

As a relative newbie to Siemens I can not seem to find any documentation that explains the following. In an FB I have the following code (see image).

What i don't understand is how TEMP variable byte "H_Fehl_Stat"'s address is 6.0, yet in the ladder, bits L5.0, L5.1, L5.2 are being used to set data in this byte. Please can someone explain!? I would have thought you'd need to set bits L6.X.

s7code.jpg

One possibility is that H_Fehl_Stat used to be at address 5 but someone added a new variable and its address shifted to 6 but they forgot to update the absolute addressed local bools.

You are correct, it won't set those bits. That is why direct addressing of the L area is so dangerous.

Most likely it worked before and someone added data before it in the stat area and everything is offset now.

Is it something that is operational at the moment?

EDIT:
Damn... LD beat me to it!!!

Last edited:
As a relative newbie to Siemens I can not seem to find any documentation that explains the following. In an FB I have the following code (see image).

What i don't understand is how TEMP variable byte "H_Fehl_Stat"'s address is 6.0, yet in the ladder, bits L5.0, L5.1, L5.2 are being used to set data in this byte. Please can someone explain!? I would have thought you'd need to set bits L6.X.

you do not have to set the Local Bit with -( )- instruction it is done in the declaration table unless you intend to overwrite it with a different instruction.
Note the temp variable status is only working available after the set instruction and you do not have to call it by L#.# just call it by name #NAME

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. This is an extract from a machine not something I have written.

I have since uploaded from the PLC from scratch and this reference still appears 1 byte out. The bits L5.0 etc appear to mapped through to OB_Fehl_Stat. So I am still puzzled.