AB_Image Processing

mooplc

Hi, am from AB background and dont have any experience on image processing.My requirement in image processing is to find
`
Req 1) defected product(size will be bigger than correct one)
Req 2)to check if serial number(Alpahnumeric) is printed properly

if Req 1 ==true then I'll just increment the counter and datalog "Error 1" with Timestamp
if Req 2 ==true then I have to Datalog "Error 2" + DO from AB.

Now my question is what hardware/Software platform should i get for image processing?

how to communicate with AB PLC?
is there any open source software available for image processing?

some direction could be helpful?

Normally video processing cameras can be programmed to give pass or no pass as result. So when passed is received you can increment counter or do whatever you want.
By the way you did not mention what type of camera or plc you are using.

Allen-Bradley exited the image processing business several years ago, leaving it to third-party companies such as Cognex and Keyence. In my experience, Ethernet/IP is an effective communication method to stand-alone inspection cameras. If using a stand-alone camera, you will most likely have to develop your own image processing application, using functionality provided by the vendor.

With PC-based image processing, you may find open-source software. Or pay for a functional environment such as Halcon to provide high level operations. This approach will also require a communication method with the PLC, such as OPC, to coordinate the inspection and deliver results.

If it is technically possible to do the inspection (e.g., measure product and validate serial number) within a camera, that would most like be the least complicated and costly approach.

By the way you did not mention what type of camera or plc you are using.

I have no idea about camera but PLC would be Micrologix 1400

If using a stand-alone camera, you will most likely have to develop your own image processing application, using functionality provided by the vendor

Any suggestions for a stand-alone camera? and for image processing application can we use OpenCV by py?

Halcon, MVTEC can do amazing things...

thanks you for your response,if Open CV fails i'll check into this..any idea about price?

Depending on the complexity of the inspection, I've done this with the insight series from cognex, the iv series from keyence, or a full fledged vision system from Systech/Optel/Laetus.

Cost of the insight and iv approaches was $, the others were $$$.