Howto read serial number of CLX 1756-L61?

oldnewbee

Hi all,
I'd like to ensure that a certain HMI software is indeed connected to one-and-only-this 1756-L61 CPU, i.e. if someone would exchange the CPU module, that HMI software should recognise it. Even if the same CF card is used inside the new CPU module. (Dont ask me why; my boss ordered this feature :) )
I have read something about Peer Safety Controller and SNNs, and guess this "CPU identification" could be done this way. But it also sounds to me as if there would be an additional piece of hardware required to do it?

Therefore, I'd prefer to simply readout the CPU's serial number that you can read at 'Edit' --> 'Controller Properties' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Serial Number'.

I have 2..3 questions:
- How can I read this number inside a PLC program and / or transfer it via CIP telegrams to my HMI. I.e., is there a tag containing this number? What is its name?
- I found that you can modify the ID found at the position mentioned above. So, in fact you modify the number the current program is compared to - but not the given CPU's unique and unchangable serial number, right?

- and one other question: I'm looking for the Rockwell manual 1756-pm001. The link "http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm001_-en-p.pdf" that I found somewhere here in the forum is no longer valid. (Maybe revision number changed or so) Has anyone a link to that document, please?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can obtain the controller serial number using a CIP message.

See RA Knowledgebase ID 23386.

Hi,
thanks for your answers.

@Myles: well, your link points to 1756-um001, not pm001. um001 is user's manual, and pm001 is referred to as "Common Procedures Programming Manual". Don't know if they are different?

@tomalbright: GSV is a good idea, but not the whole truth :) I need to know which tag to get.

Thank you anyway.

Hi again,

@myles: yes, this is it. With exactly looking at how the first URL is built I should have found it. Thank you!

@Oakley: Thanks for this tip. After creating a new user account at this site I get the error: "This answer may be getting updated, or it may only be available to TechConnect support contract holders (see answer 50871 for details)." *grrrrr*
So I'll have to wait until my colleague is back in the office to tell me this support contract ID. Then I will check it out.

kind regards -

Here is the meat of the document (cut and paste) ...
Obtaining a Logix Processors Firmware Level using a CIP Generic Messsage

To obtain this information, you need to configure a CIP Generic message with the following parameters:
SERVICE TYPE: Custom ( or just choose Device Who .....v10 and higher)
SERVICE CODE: 1
CLASS: 1
INSTANCE: 1
ATTRIBUTE: 0
SOURCE ELEMENT: SINT ARRAY of atleast 2 ELEMENTS
SOURCE LENGTH: 2
DESTINATION: SINT ARRAY of atleast 100 ELEMENTS

Communications path will be the path to the controller you need the information from.
Ex. If processor is in slot (0), then comm path will be 1,0

Source Element will contain the following information:
Source_Tag[0] = 0;
Source_Tag[1] = 0;

Destination Element will contain the following information:
Destination _Tag[0] = 1 Vendor ID (1=Allen Bradley)
Destination _Tag[1] = 0
Destination _Tag[2] = 14 Product Type (14 = Controller)
Destination _Tag[3] = 0
Destination _Tag[4] = 3 Product Code (3 = 1756-L1)
Destination _Tag[5] = 0
Destination _Tag[6] = 11 Major Firmware Revision
Destination _Tag[7] = 32 Minor Firmware Revision
Destination _Tag[8] = 96 Device Status
Destination _Tag[9] = 49 Device Status
Destination _Tag[10] = 35 Serial Number of Processor Hex 23 Serial Number is 0004AF23
Destination _Tag[11] = -81 Serial Number of Processor Hex AF
Destination _Tag[12] = 4 Serial Number of Processor Hex 04
Destination _Tag[13] = 0 Serial Number of Processor Hex 00
Destination _Tag[14] = 19 Number of Characters to follow
Destination _Tag[15] = 49 1
Destination _Tag[16] = 55 7
Destination _Tag[17] = 53 5
Destination _Tag[18] = 54 6
Destination _Tag[19] = 45 -
Destination _Tag[20] = 76 L
Destination _Tag[21] = 49 1
Destination _Tag[22] = 47 /
Destination _Tag[23] = 65 A
Destination _Tag[24] = 32 SPACE
Destination _Tag[25] = 49 1 Memory Module
Destination _Tag[26] = 55 7
Destination _Tag[27] = 53 5
Destination _Tag[28] = 54 6
Destination _Tag[29] = 45 -
Destination _Tag[30] = 77 M
Destination _Tag[31] = 51 3
Destination _Tag[32] = 47 /
Destination _Tag[33] = 65 A
Destination _Tag[34] = 32 Space
Destination _Tag[35] = 76 L
Destination _Tag[36] = 79 O
Destination _Tag[37] = 71 G
Destination _Tag[38] = 73 I
Destination _Tag[39] = 88 X
Destination _Tag[40] = 53 5
Destination _Tag[41] = 53 5
Destination _Tag[42] = 53 5
Destination _Tag[43] = 48 0
Destination _Tag[44.....] = ?

Hallo Oakley,
this is great help. I will configure this message and try to send it to my HMI. Actually, this looks to me sufficient to find out the remaining details.
Thanks very much!

and kind regards.

here is another simple CIP message that can be used with any module, not just controller:

CIP Generic
Get Attribute Single (0xe)
Class 1
Instance 1
Attribute 6

Destination DINT tag

Point path to the module ie 1,<slot number>

DINT tag will contain 32 bit serial number

Technote 52870

For controller only can use GSV ControllerDevice -> SerialNumber

Last edited: