Thank you Rockwell!!!!

Just an update on my "vanished" post...

Phil had a "word" with me on posting links to Rockwell's firmware files, and rightly so. It has been removed.

I posted them up with good intentions but should have known better not to.

I have been quick enough to call up other Forum members who were similarly just trying to help someone, but were posting material ad arbitrium.

So, as not to appear two-faced, I wholeheartedly hold my hands up here.

My apologies again to you Phil, and to the Forum.

Regards,
Naughty I.

My apologies again to you Phil, and to the Forum. ...

No worries!

santa.gif

Enjoy,

And to reward me for my naughtiness...Phil has made me a Moderator! :oops:

Hmm, now I'm Red?

Does mean I've gone to the dark side? :mad:

Thanks Phil! :site:

The "link" was not official...

Nathan,

To link users to the official RA site for official downloads is perfectly fine and I think that is what you are referring to? If so, that is not what I was pulled up on.

Just to clarify my naughtiness...

I had downloaded all of the 5370 CompactLogix Controller RA Firmware files back in October just to have them as we have been using these controllers quite a bit since they came out and I also have all versions of Studio 5000 installed.

I placed a copy of all these files on my Dropbox and linked them here. This is as good as me now acting as RA by providing end-users directly with a copy of RA's files. This would be in breach of their EULA and I fully agree with with that.

My intention was to make the link temporary so that the OP, or anyone else I suppose, could access them while the official website was down. I was going to kill the link on Friday and ask for the post to be deleted. It didn't last that long.

So what you are saying is perfectly fine to do. We do as such every day here.

Regards,
George

Nathan,

To link users to the official RA site for official downloads is perfectly fine and I think that is what you are referring to? If so, that is not what I was pulled up on.

Just to clarify my naughtiness...

I had downloaded all of the 5370 CompactLogix Controller RA Firmware files back in October just to have them as we have been using these controllers quite a bit since they came out and I also have all versions of Studio 5000 installed.

I placed a copy of all these files on my Dropbox and linked them here. This is as good as me now acting as RA by providing end-users directly with a copy of RA's files. This would be in breach of their EULA and I fully agree with with that.

My intention was to make the link temporary so that the OP, or anyone else I suppose, could access them while the official website was down. I was going to kill the link on Friday and ask for the post to be deleted. It didn't last that long.

So what you are saying is perfectly fine to do. We do as such every day here.

Regards,
George

I understand now.
Also... You would even now be responsible for making sure the firmware updates are kept current, and any legal issues from bad firmware updates is also in your lap.

I thought it was strange....since I see links to SUPPLIER sites for downloads all the time.

NetNathan said:
...You would even now be responsible for making sure the firmware updates are kept current and any legal issues from bad firmware updates is also in your lap...

Now, I wouldn't go quite that far! :D

I would only be acting as a temporary intermediary, and even without a disclaimer, I'm sure any user downloading the files would fully appreciate that I am not responsible for the contents and their performance and that we are not entering into any sort of legally binding agreement. It's just a guy helping another guy out on a Forum at the end of the day.

I would be distributing somebody else's intellectual property in a manner not permitted. It is this distribution that could be an issue between me and the author/owner and not between me and any third party receiver.

I would incur no obligation to provide any further links to future updates. Nor would I be in any way subject to recourse if anything they downloaded did not work in a manner intended by the original author.

The only legal implications I could envisage here is Rockwell taking me, or indeed Phil, to court for copyright infringement for illegal distribution.

Don't be scaremongering me! :oops:

G.