TIA ET200 Change I/O address

dahnuguy

Have some experience with Step & but new to TIA.

Watched videos on topic and read and searched. Did what they said.

SIMATIC IPC427D with PROFIBUS on board (CP5622 compatible); 2x Gigabit Ethernet; 2x PCIe slots I am using the Profinet connection to connect an additional I/O device.

Added a ET200 followed directions. They always download the configuration to the processor at some point but I am offline.

I want to add the ET200 and make some edits using thise I/O offline and then download on site.

Once added. The ET200SP and input output cards are in the topology view.

Connected the ET200 to the processor by PN/IE and saved project.

Looks like everything is great.

But the ET200 does not show up in the Distributed I/O tree of the processor like it does on the video from Siemens. Instead , the ET200 is in the Unassigned devices tree.

In addition to this the input start addresses are all grayed out and can not be changed. And the process image is none and can not be changed.

I can not make the desired offline programming changes with this situation.

I realize I can not download to the processor as I do not have it, nor can I download to the configuration the the ET200, but I think we should be able to add a module and address it to an offline file.

I compiled the hardware and software , checked for errors etc. I don't see it.

I am missing something.

In the old Step7, I could add a device and compile the hardware, and set up all the addresses etc., then once online, a message would come up that the hardware doesn't match and you have the option to download it.

Not getting that here.

Also in the video, his ET200 goes right in the Distributed I/O tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMj8FBZjd6w

And they never change the input start point in any of the videos, but I did see that their address was white boxed and not grayed out.

Which version of TIA and what is the firmware of your ET200? I'm guessing maybe you need HSP.

Last edited:
Which version of TIA? I'm guessing maybe you need HSP.

Always a version question....why would it matter what the version is?

If I have a project with 5 device X and I wish to load another one, I would expect it to work.

Anyway, the videos all say to add the network connection from the ET200 to the CPU in topology view. I did that and it put the device in the unassigned folder.

So I went to network view and deleted the connection and installed the ET200 on PN/IO 2 and it worked. Then I deleted that connection and added the ET200 to the PN/IO 1 and now it is assigned ???????

The instructions always go 123 and all done automagical.

Then when you follow along it goes 134,, post a question, try 4 or 5 things that shouldn't make any difference , then do the same thing as before and now it works.

Simple.

I do like a lot of TIA portal though, it is amazing in capability and function. But this was reminiscent of the starting out with Step7 days.

What is the perceived advantage of using topology view over network view? They both seem to work the same way.

I havent watched the video.
Not sure what goes wrong for you, but when adding a new PN IO Device, you have to set it up with device names, modules (if it has modules), and IO addresses. And then you have to assign it to a Device Controller. That doesnt happen automatically even if there is only 1 Device Controller. But it is simple, just click on the "not assigned" and specify the Device Controller.
If that is not your problem, then post some screenshots.

The topology view is for defining exactly which cable goes to what port. With that, you can get better diagnostics. But then you are not free to connect everything in a different way, such as using different ports or changing the order in which the devices are connected.

Jesper.

Always enjoy your advise, thank you.

Everything was set up and the connection was made but the device was still unassigned.

The IP addresses and device number and even device names are all automatically entered. That is the automatic part I referred to.

Of course you can select "manual" and over ride those settings to enter a specific name or IP.

The only thing I did in addition to what should have worked, was that I deleted the connection and then did it again. Maybe I set something wrong without realizing it the first time.

I will add and remove a couple of more devices just to get the process clear and see if it was just something odd I did on my first attempt.

In one of the videos, it shows an HMI screen added and all the network connections are done automatically after the tag from a button object is dragged into the project and assigned to a bit. Portal does some amazing things.

The Siemens videos are well done, but they don't always show the full screen during the critical part and I am left trying to find "what did he click to get that last part to work?"

When I add some more ET200s, if this happens again I will post a follow up, but I think it was just something odd I did without knowing.

Thanks again.

In one of the videos, it shows an HMI screen added and all the network connections are done automatically after the tag from a button object is dragged into the project and assigned to a bit. Portal does some amazing things.
So maybe you could have dragged an I/O symbol from the ET200SP to the CPU, and then TIA would do all the setting up.
I never do it like that.
I like to be in control of such things as setting up the basic hardware configuration.

So maybe you could have dragged an I/O symbol from the ET200SP to the CPU, and then TIA would do all the setting up.
I never do it like that.
I like to be in control of such things as setting up the basic hardware configuration.

That's a possibility.
I will try that and see if it works. Portal does a lot of drag and drop and automatic back ground stuff.

I agree, I would rather do it step by step and have confirmation and control of each step.