You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 19th, 2018, 03:11 PM   #1
testsubject
United States

Sending Messages to PanelView

I am attempting to write a LD5000 program that will use Internal programs to optimize the design.

For example, I wrote the program heavily using AOIs and UDTs to allow it to be replicated internally with minimal changes to make each subsystem unique.

This appears to be going okay until I get to setting up the messages in the PanelView. There seems to be only one message file available; I was hoping to assign the message number in the plc and then based on which subsystem generated it, use a separate couple of different lists to build the message. (the program in reality would pull from multiple subsystems to build the line so the lists may have different information in them)

Again for example, the first module (program) is ST01 and its first message will be "Station 1 Ready."
The second module would be ST02 and its first message would be "Station 2 Ready."

There does not appear to be any way to embed metadata into the Local Messages file.

Has anyone attempted this? (I think I have an idea on how to do it {using a spreadsheet} but was also hoping to not re-invent the wheel. I did want this to be more automated)

Thanks!

Kim Campbell
Former Canadian Prime Minister
Old September 19th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #2
Firejo
United States

My understanding is that the PLC doesn't message to the PanelView it messages to the PLC(s).
Old September 19th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

What model of PanelView device: PanelView Plus or PanelView 5000 ?

Are you limiting your question to the Local Messages feature (suggesting PV+) or are you implementing this as a String Display ?
Old September 19th, 2018, 08:43 PM   #4
testsubject
United States

Ken,

It is the PV+ 7. Sorry for not providing that.

The current design sends a trigger to a variable located in the Local Message box which then points to the Local Messages stored on the PV+.

Kim Campbell
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:40 PM   #5
James Mcquade
United States

I used a slc 500 with a panelview 550 to display several hundred messages using a message display box.

I had a problem with the sign bit so I never used it, had that on several slc500 units.

you will need to use indexed addressing for it to work.
the code goes something like this.

w = 21
b = 16

for w = 0 to 20
if w = 0 goto label 1

for b = 0 to 15
if w(b) = 0 goto label 2
compute message number based on word value and bit number
start timer 1 for x.x seconds
if timer 1 is not done, goto label 3
label 2 - dummy rung
b = b + 1
if b >= 16 then b = 0

label 1 - dummy rung
w = w + 1
if w >= 21 then w = 0

label 3 - dummy rung

I hope this helps,
if I have time, I will try to look up the code, its less than 15 rungs
james
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:57 PM   #6
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The strings in a Local Message table can have variables embedded in them, just in curly braces.

So you can have a line in the Local Message table that says "Station {Stn_Number} Ready"

But you can't point to a different Local Message table with a variable for each instance of a Local Message object. You have to specify the text name of the Local Message table.
Old September 20th, 2018, 07:11 AM   #7
testsubject
United States

Ken,

Thanks for that info!

This will make it easier to do what I need.

The current Local Message file is filled with
Trigger Message
1 Station 1 Ready
2 Station 2 Ready
3 Station 3 Ready
4 Station 1 Faulted
5 Station 2 Faulted
6 Station 3 Faulted

It make it difficult to add/remove messages from a modular standpoint when the Local Messages file triggers need to be "shifted" around all the time. I am hoping to change this.

Now I can say

Trigger Message
1 Station {Station_Number} Ready
2 Station {Station_Number} Faulted

It will be easier to do with your suggestion.

Kim Campbell
Old September 20th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Phrog30
United States

Why not use strings in the PLC? I think you are complicating things.
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:52 AM   #9
testsubject
United States

Phrog30,

You bring up a valid point but unfortunately, I think I am developing something that might be complicated to be able to automate the process.

This is a simplified example of what I am trying to do.

The line would be comprised of 3 subsystems: SubA, SubB, and SubC.
SubA will have 3 Drives (1, 2, 3).
SubB will have 2 Drives (1, 2).
SubC will have 5 Drives (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
Each Drive will have 6 messages. (in reality this is a lot more)
Each Subsystem will also have 4 messages.

Every one of the messages is assigned a priority code.

There can be any number of stations in different order of these subsystems. Each Subsystem will have different messages that will fall into priorities.

I need to display these messages in an organized manner based on the priority of message, the station order, the drive order, and the message itself .

Within each subsytem there is also a hierarchy of messages that has to be followed as well.

So I could have
ST01: SubA
ST02: SubC
ST03: SubA
ST04: SubB
ST05: SubC
Etc.

I am using AOIs and UDTs to keep each station unique.

ST03, Drive 1, Message 3 with a Priority 4 would be overridden by ST04, Drive 2, Message 1 with a Priority 2 even though the Station priorities are from 1 to x. Both of these will be overridden by System, Message 1 with Priority 1.

Within each message, the Station Identifier and Drive identifier would be inserted. SO, for example, if Message 3 is "Reset {ST_Desc} {Dr_Desc} CB" on the screen I want "Reset Scrubber Infeed Motor CB".

I am still in the process of identifying each Message and assigning a Priority level to each.

Currently, we spell out each message in the Local Message file which is very time consuming and the trigger values change based on the number of messages needed. I am trying to automate this process.

As you mentioned, it is a bit complicated….

Kim Campbell
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum