You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 19th, 2018, 01:37 PM   #1
mbartoli
United States

Ge $conn_status

I got an answer for this here a number of years ago: I was looking for a way to check the connection status of a GE PLC Ethernet port to Cimplicity HMI software. Can't find my original post, but I was told that $CONN_STATUS_P1C1 and $CONN_STATUS_P1C2 system tags would allow me to verify that I had network connection between the PLC and the HMI workstation. That worked like a champ. Now, we are in the midst of migration from Cimplicity to Citect, and the same tags are not recognized by Citect. Since we now only have 1 GE PLC instead of the 5 we used to have (been replacing them with Triconex), the tag issue is a minor but real bother. I am pretty sure that these system tags would also have a real memory address space, just not sure what that might be.

Anyone point me in the right direction? TIA

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Old September 19th, 2018, 02:03 PM   #2
gclshortt
Canada

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=33414

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=83098

The above posts may help you out. They speak of using a heartbeat for communications. This is when the PLC will set a bit on and the SCADA will turn it off or vice versa. You can then tell from both devices that the communication has been lost if the bit remains on / off for too long.
Regards,
Old September 19th, 2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Steve Bailey
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Check the documentation for the communications driver that Citect uses to see if it gives you a communications status property.
In Proficy View there is a "Status" property intrinsic to the communications drivers. The property applies to any HMI tag. In a Proficy View HMI target My_Variable:STATUS is Boolean.
I've used the property in both the GE Ethernet driver and the Modbus TCP driver.
Old September 20th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #4
mbartoli
United States

After posting, I thought to RTFM... pulled out my dusty copy of GFK-2224J TCPIP Ethernet Communications for PACSystems, and remembered that the Ethernet cards have a status bit table. Bit 13 is LAN OK and bit 16 is LAN Interface OK. Using those, I can see that both are true. I am using LAN OK at this time for my status.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum