PV550 Communication/programming

Microbictomb

I have a Panelview 550 and I need to access the program and download it. At some point the back cover of the case must have broken off and I believe someone swapped it with a cover from a different model. Both cases are here, one is a 2711-K5A2 the other is 2711-K5A8. The manual states that the K5A2 does not have a RS-232 port on it and the one we have installed has both DH+ and the RS-232, so I'm assuming it's the K5A8 model.

That being said, what is the best way to establish communications? I'm unsure as to whether the RS-232 port is printer only as I could not connect to it through RSLinx.

I am using a 1747-CP3 cable. If it requires a straight-through I can make one.

Well that didn't work for me. I made a straight through cable based on the 2711-NC13 pinout, tested continuity before trying it out and after and it's good.

RSLinx fails to find the baud/parity. Attached are screenshots of the configuration screens for the PV550. Any thoughts?

Comm Settings.jpg Printer Setup.jpg Terminal Info.jpg

What driver are you using in RSLinx? Should be DF1.

Are you using a USB to serial adapter? If so not all work with autoconfigure.

You might try to set up RSLinx's DF1 driver manually, to match the PV's serial comm setup.

Last edited:
I'm using DF1. No adapter, serial straight through cable DB9F to DB9F. I tried manual as well to match the printer settings in the PV yesterday and it would not show up when browsing for it still.

I did, browsing in PanelBuilder shows the DF1 and Workstation but nothing after. When I select either for file upload it shows the progress window and fails at Identifying operator terminal.

I did, browsing in PanelBuilder shows the DF1 and Workstation but nothing after. When I select either for file upload it shows the progress window and fails at Identifying operator terminal.

I am not sure what you are looking at here. Maybe some screens shot will help.

Before you try an upload or download you have to get connected with RSLinx.

What does RSWho show?

Double check your cable

Pin 2 to 2
Pin 3 to 3
Pin 5 to 5