PanelView + and BCR

wa5yom

Has anyone interfaced a Barcode Reader with a PanelView Plus.
If you have accomplished this; what components did you use; how did you transfer it to the PLC (in my case a SLC504)?
I believe it would work on the RS232 or USB Port.

Thanks,
Tim

I don't see why you need the bar code going into the PanelView
directly? Why don't you just send the ASCII string from the bar code reader directly to the SLC 5/04 via the RS-232 port? Convert bar code ASCII into Integer inside the PLC and then display the data on the
PanelView. Isn't that easier?

You can use multiplexer to accomplish what you are doing.
It will split the RS-232 on the SLC 5/04 into two ports.
One port can run DF1 for panelview and the other ASCII for Bar code reader, this has been done many times before.
Go to www.tomantron.com

So how would I do the configuration on the multiplexer, sonce the rs232 port is copnfigured for DH485, I suppose the Multiplexer would hold the DH485 addresses for the PanelView and a separate address for the Barcode reader?

Tim

I agree with Jeri Toman (Post#2)
The barcode is ASCII and really needs to go into the SLC first. The PLC can convert the ASCII Values to a useable form for the PanelView.

PanelView also supports DF1 full duplex protocol unless it's a very old system (PanelViews originally only supported DH-485 over
RS-232). If your PanelView is a newer model that supports DF1 you can
use MuxiPort , serial port multiplexer to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Setup the SLC5/04 for DF1 full duplex and
multiplexer will give you two RS-232 ports instead of just one.
Each port can then be individually programmed for either DF1 or generic ASCII. The port that has been setup for ASCII will
move the ASCII data into a pre-defined data table location in the SLC.
Visit our web site and look at application examples.

Excellent.
The only thing is, in my case we are using the old DTAM Plus connected to Channel 0, DH485.

SO, I would have to change out the DTAM to a PanelView 300, for example.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim