Windows 10 Rockwell Software

cocsbob said:
...there are no v28 release notes because its identical to v27 except for list of bugs, v27 release notes only shows support for Win8.1

Be careful with sweeping statements my friend!

They are far from identical.

There are Release Notes available for both v28.00.01 and v28.00.02. But I will agree that they are somewhat sparse with information on anything other than existing Known Anomalies and there are indeed no details on supported Operating Systems. Why? I do not know? Perhaps someone is taking an inordinate amount of time in drafting a final copy up, because of all the new features? Here they are in their presently unflattering format...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljgmadlg2..._Release Notes_v28.00.01 - v28.00.02.pdf?dl=0

A note on version 28, for those not in the "know", as the available Release Notes do little to point this fact out...

Studio 5000 v28 was released in line with the latest ControlLogix L8x processors; namely the 1756-L83E and 1756-L85E. These processors use firmware revision 28 minimum. Only v28 or above of Logix Designer can be used to program these newer processors. Versions 21 to 27 cannot be used with these processors. That's not all v28 does, but it is its primary reason for existence. v28 software/firmware, and the newer processor hardware, improve on a whole host of functions not available prior to v28. So no, you could not say that v28 and v27 are identical in all but some bugs.

Besides looking at Release Notes for OS support, I usually go to the Product Compatibility & Download Center (PCDC)...

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/pcdc.page?

From here you can see that both v27 and v28 are compatible with both Windows 8 & 8.1 64-Bit Professional Edition. But i already knew that. Studio 5000 has supported these Editions of Windows 8/8.1 since v24.

What I am waiting for is Rockwell to start listing Windows 10 against products like Logix Designer.

At present they do not...
logix_Designer_v28.00.02_Windows_8.bmp

You will, however, see products like RSLinx Classic with Windows 10 listed, but unsupported...
RSLinx_Classic_v3.80_Windows_10.bmp

And FactoryTalk View Machine Edition...
FTViewME_v8.10.00_Windows_10.bmp

So again, I'm sure, over the following weeks and months the amount of products listed against Windows 10 will grow.
But which products, and versions of those products, will be supported, we will have to wait and see.

Regards,
George

this is from the Rockwell tech email:

Hello,
Please find attached the requested documents.

Note: I attached Release Notes from ver. 27, not 28, because 28 no longer has Release Notes in a PDF form, but they are almost exactly the same. Only the list of fixed "bugs" is different.

I *think* that version 28 of Logix Designer also adds support for the built-in support of sequence manager of the L8x processors.

And yet I have provided a PDF copy of the v28 Release Notes, in PDF format, which they claim do not exist, and which are far from the same as the v27 Release Notes. They are very much different if you compare what I have linked with the v27 Release Notes that you received.

Besides the perhaps not so obvious but rather important difference I have pointed out above; the fact that v27 has a fully detailed set of Release Notes and v28 does not, would not automatically imply, to me, that v27 and v28 are virtually identical. Again, why such an important version was not released with detailed enough information on its primary function, is still beyond me?

Perhaps the Support Engineer could not find the v28 Release Notes in the "archaic" PDF format? (what format do they think they come in now?) and so just pawned you off with v27? I just don't know?

All I can tell you is there are many differences. I'm off home now so I won't go into detail, but here is a sample to chew on...

Produce and Consume Tags

The following recommendations provide techniques for establishing produced or consumed tag communication between ControlLogix 5580 and earlier ControlLogix controllers.

RPI of Multicast Tags

Before Version 28, a produce tag produces data at the RPI of the fastest requesting consumer. This let multiple consumers with different RPIs successfully connect to a producer. With Version 28, the first consumer of a produce tag determines the RPI at which data is produced. All subsequent consumers must request the same RPI value as the first consumer. Otherwise, the subsequent consumers fail to connect.

When migrating a pre-Version 28 project to Version 28, make sure that all pre-Version 28 multicast consumers of a produce tag are configured properly.

At versions lower than v28 of Logix Designer, programming software allowed the XIC instruction, to point to a bit, part of a REAL data type, by manually typing the .bit part.

Starting with v28 this is prohibited.

JSR Nesting Level Limit

With v28, when you nest routines, the controller reserves enough memory to execute to a maximum of 25 nesting levels. Previously, controllers let you continue to nest until they ran out of stack space and faulted.

The major fault ‘Nesting limits exceeded’ now signifies that you have exceeded the nesting limit.

This implementation affects the JSR instruction.

Restructure your project to avoid excessive subroutine nesting.
Resolve any verification errors that occur when you open and import projects in version 28.

...and so on.

I'm not usually one for second guessing Rockwell. I just know what I know.

EDIT: John, there was actually already a bug with firmware v28.011 and that sequence feature on the L8x processors.
Firmware revision v28.012 fixed it.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I have been playing with this problem for a while. I have gotten Logix Designer to open from the launcher consistently, at least for the time being. Please let me know if this works for anyone else having trouble. My LogixDesigner would show the splash screen, but would not open.

I did the following:

1. Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Launcher" folder.
2. Right click on the launcher application and select options
3. On the compatibility tab set the compatibility mode to XP (SP3), and select run as administrator.
4. Click apply then okay.
5. Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Logix Designer\ENU\v27\Bin" folder.
6. Repeat steps 2-4 on the LogixDesigner application.
7. Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\View Designer\ENU\V2" folder.
8. Repeat steps 2-4 on the ViewDesigner application.

I have been playing with this problem for a while. I have gotten Logix Designer to open from the launcher consistently, at least for the time being. Please let me know if this works for anyone else having trouble. My LogixDesigner would show the splash screen, but would not open.

I did the following:

1. Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Launcher" folder.
2. Right click on the launcher application and select options
3. On the compatibility tab set the compatibility mode to XP (SP3), and select run as administrator.
4. Click apply then okay.
5. Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Logix Designer\ENU\v27\Bin" folder.
6. Repeat steps 2-4 on the LogixDesigner application.
7. Navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\View Designer\ENU\V2" folder.
8. Repeat steps 2-4 on the ViewDesigner application.

when I talked to the offshore Rockwell tech, where most of what I've copied here originated, he said yes RSLogix could run in compatibility mode . . . but ... if I had issues running under compatibility mode they would not be able to help me. ???

I hate to be a PITA and bypass them (offshore) and ask to go directly to level 2 support but I may have to do so because I am looking at $350K+ just in hardware upgrades and from what I've read here seem to be inconsistencies in product definition support from the aforementioned level 1 support.

Last edited:
I finally have a Windows 10 VMWare machine. The Factory Talk License Manager is working and seeing my servers licenses. I'll keep installing software and post here what "seems' to work.

OMG Rslinx 3.8 installs SQL desktop! WTF?
I'm real tired of seeing the install lady...

InstallLady.jpg

Last edited:
Windows 10 RSx update:
Rslinx 3.8 running and monitoring data from a Control Logix.

Trying RSLogix5000 20.01 now.
Well 20.01 works. I am online with a PLC right now. So i imagine anything later then that will work as well.

Going to try FTView Studio 8.1 now..

Last edited:
Windows 10 RSx update:
Rslinx 3.8 running and monitoring data from a Control Logix.

Trying RSLogix5000 20.01 now.
Well 20.01 works. I am online with a PLC right now. So i imagine anything later then that will work as well.

Going to try FTView Studio 8.1 now..
FTView Studio Enterprise Edition 8.1 Install, opens a Studio 8.0 and a ME 8.0 applications. Even test runs the screens and connects to PLC's including a SLC and Control Logix.

Frankly with previous RSx experience, I am shocked and amazed this all installed and runs!

JaxGTO,

That's good feedback.

On RSLogix 500...

It is still not listed against Windows 10 for official compatibility, but I do know it has fully supported both Windows 8 & 8.1 Editions, officially (...there's that word again...), since v9.05.01 specifically.

v9.00.00 is not officially compatible with any of the Windows 8 Editions, and is only listed as having " No known issues or dependencies" with the Windows 8.1 Editions.

So RSLogix 500 v10.00.00 & v9.05.01 are both officially compatible with all Editions of Windows 8 & 8.1.

I have been using the logic that any products that are officially fully compatible with Windows 8 & 8.1 Editions will most likely be officially compatible with Windows 10.

Your feedback would help support this logic.

RSLogix_500_MultiVersion_Windows_8.bmp

Regards,
George

Im running v19 v20 v21 and v24 for rslogix 5000 and studio 5000. Also have tslinx and view studio 8.0 tunning in a vmware workstation 12 pro with windows 10 pro 64 bit. First version didnt want to open untill i turned on compatibility mode for xp then after that it opend fine and i turned compatibility back off and its still tunning fine. Im thinking of upgrading my host os to 10 with the free upgrade. Ill run this vm a while and make sure no bugs pop up first

Im running v19 v20 v21 and v24 for rslogix 5000 and studio 5000. Also have tslinx and view studio 8.0 tunning in a vmware workstation 12 pro with windows 10 pro 64 bit. First version didnt want to open untill i turned on compatibility mode for xp then after that it opend fine and i turned compatibility back off and its still tunning fine. Im thinking of upgrading my host os to 10 with the free upgrade. Ill run this vm a while and make sure no bugs pop up first

Hey! Struggling with FTView Studio SE (Net Distributed v8) and FTAssetCentre (v5) in Windows 10 -- seems like no issues with a fresh install of RSLogix 5 v8, RSLogix 500 v9, RSLogix 5000 v13,15,16,17,18,19,20, and Studio5000 v21,24,26 or RSLinx 3.73.

What specific files did you set to XP compatibility mode to get FTView up and running? I haven't changed any compatibility settings up until now...

Thanks!!

just right click on the .exe file that starts view studi and go to properties and then go to compatibility settings and select which os you would like to run it in.