SSI absolute encoder connection to S7-1500 system ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm being asked to bid a control system using Siemens S7-1500 controllers, which I don't have any experience with.

The digital, analog, and Profibus I/O are things I can figure out, but I don't know how to connect an SSI encoder to an S7-1500. This control system requires four of them.

They aren't doing motion control; they're strictly to monitor speed and position of two parallel machine elements.

I see that there's a "SSI Technology Object" that looks like a feature you have to enable in the S7-1500.

But what I/O module can I use to connect an SSI encoder ?

The 1500MP local I/O is exactly what I need; somehow the menus I was looking at didn't include the Technology Modules.

Extended questions: this is a super-high-vibration environment. I know there's a high-temperature S7-1500. Is there a ruggedized one ?

Optional extended question: what's the most rugged field I/O system for S7-1500 ? When I say "high vibration", I mean "on fire being struck with a hail of sledgehammers".

An interesting link.
I knew about SIPLUS but not about SIPLUS extreme RAIL.
I notice that there is avariant for ET200SP. I wonder what the vibration resistant elements are, because I have found regular ET200SP to be sensitive to vibrations.

edit: Actually, they only mention that there is a vibration resistant CPU. Nothing about i/o modules. That could confirm that ET200SP simply isnt well designed to be resistant against vibrations.