Studio 5000 version 31 failed to install

Bill Gates literally got rich because Americans don't have enough conflict in their lives.

I remember when there was a press release stating that Allen-Bradley was partnering with Microsoft to make better software...I cringed a bit. This was very early in my career.

I recently had to install one of the newer versions and had to right click and "run as administrator" the install program even though I am an administrator on my machine.

For awhile now RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 will crash unless I set the apps to "run as administrator" even after successfully installing them.

I think that Rockwell Software is among the worst of bloatware I have to deal with in my line of work. It's as if they make it excessively complicated and difficult to install to justify the costs. If it installed quickly and easily you would ask yourself "That's it? I paid $3500 for that?".

Last edited:
Bill Gates literally got rich because Americans don't have enough conflict in their lives.

I remember when there was a press release stating that Allen-Bradley was partnering with Microsoft to make better software...I cringed a bit. This was very early in my career.

I recently had to install one of the newer versions and had to right click and "run as administrator" the install program even though I am an administrator on my machine.

For awhile now RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 will crash unless I set the apps to "run as administrator" even after successfully installing them.

I think that Rockwell Software is among the worst of bloatware I have to deal with in my line of work. It's as if they make it excessively complicated and difficult to install to justify the costs. If it installed quickly and easily you would ask yourself "That's it? I paid $3500 for that?".

I'm more asking myself why we're paying 3.5k for something that is ****tier than a free ladder logic IDE for arduino.

I'm more asking myself why we're paying 3.5k for something that is ****tier than a free ladder logic IDE for arduino.

You said..."For awhile now RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 will crash unless I set the apps to "run as administrator" even after successfully installing them."

Someone earlier asked if you had tried to run your install as an Administrator and you did not answer. I would assume that you can install as an admin and it will work fine.

You seem upset that your company does not pay for 24/7 service with telephone support through tech connect.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this... If you do not have these problems with Siemens then why do you not install Siemens software and upgrade your PLC to a Siemens PLC and then inform your company that they are never allowed to buy Allen Bradley again? You don't have that kind of pull around there?

You said..."For awhile now RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 will crash unless I set the apps to "run as administrator" even after successfully installing them."

Someone earlier asked if you had tried to run your install as an Administrator and you did not answer. I would assume that you can install as an admin and it will work fine.

You seem upset that your company does not pay for 24/7 service with telephone support through tech connect.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this... If you do not have these problems with Siemens then why do you not install Siemens software and upgrade your PLC to a Siemens PLC and then inform your company that they are never allowed to buy Allen Bradley again? You don't have that kind of pull around there?

We're a mostly Allen Bradley plant, changing over to Siemens would be hundreds of thousands of dollars(millions if the whole company switches over) and it wouldn't be my decision to make I work for a corporation we have dozens of plants in the US. We only have a few machines that have Siemens controllers on them.

This new PLC is for running a 5 million dollar robotic work cell. It's the PLC we were left with from the integrators.

I don't have much say, I'm just a maintenance technician. I'm expected to be able to edit the programs on these machines though at the whims of the bigwhigs .

also, I have admin privileges on my PC, but it's not that, my guess is there was software (likely Allen Bradley) that was partially installed and stopped halfway through, because there are registry keys missing. I think that's what is causing the issue.

I had the same issue, and had to delete some versions of Microsoft Visual C++.
Check the log file in the bottom, this will tell you what is causing the problem.

So is Visual Studio conflicting with it? I do have Visual studio on my PC too.

No, this will eliminate some variables in your search of the problem just like any other troubleshooting methodology. I don't know what's conflicting with your software install, but something definitely is. Rockwell will tell you the exact same most likely. Installing on a VM on the same machine will at least confirm that your software package is fine and that your machine can run it.

Good luck.

OK I got it to install and run on a VM. I still think the issue is a partial install left some registry keys deleted.

also, I have admin privileges on my PC, but it's not that, my guess is there was software (likely Allen Bradley) that was partially installed and stopped halfway through, because there are registry keys missing. I think that's what is causing the issue.

Having admin privileges and installing as admin is different. I am the admin of my PC as well, yet when I install I have to choose the run as admin option.

I only read through the last few posts here and if this has been mentioned i apologize but the BEST thing you can do is install your AB software in a seperate VM away from anything else on your computer. I moved to VMWare about a year ago at someones suggestion on here and it has been nothing but an absolute dream in comparison to trying to run AB software on my host machine.

I had install error 1603 while installing version 31 on windows 10. The install error log mentions administrator privileges (which I have) and user account control settings are set to never notify.

After contacting support they pointed me to knowledgebase article 54812.
Now disabling UAC in windows 10, you have to now go into registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

Change EnableLUA from 1 to 0
Reboot

This worked for me...

I'm just going to hop on this with some unhelpful advice and a rant.

The Advice: Don't use v31.

I think all v31 projects should be changed over to v32 and no one should use v31. V31 has crippling bugs that make it dangerous to use that are known to Rockwell and still not patched. The biggest one is if you make a change to the parameters of an AOI, you MUST COMPACT YOUR CODE or it will be deranged while still validating, downloading, and running on your machine. That alone blacklisted v31 for my OEM, and we've notified our customers that v31 is not an option and existing v31 machines will be changed to v32 if serviced or we will not service them.

The Rant

On the topic of Rockwell, their products, their software, and their support, there is no worse value for your dollar in the industry; I say that as an employee of a 95% Rockwell OEM. Someone quipped that they make their software so bad so you have to pay for a support contract as a joke, but really, that's the entire paradigm of Rockwell from root to stem. It is so hard to make a rock solid machine with good diagnostics with this platform that they have just owned that and convinced machine end-users that they will need to look at the code for their machine to solve problems on a regular basis. That leads to end-users paying to train people on Rockwell and to have Rockwell licenses and even support contracts and generally investing in the platform. Then Rockwell uses that to convince OEMs that customers won't buy their machine if they don't put Rockwell on it. As an added mechanism in this marketing/manipulation cycle, the money end-users would have paid to OEMs for service visits, they pay to Rockwell instead for licenses and service contracts. This has been going on long enough that everyone seems to think this is normal.

I have seen the other side of things. I know there are other platforms that are better in every metric than Rockwell, including MTTF, long term product support/availability, and support (often free and global). It's madness that they are the market leader. But, then again, you can't buy a metric tape measure off the shelf at Lowe's or Home Depot in America; some people dislike change so much, they can't see the obvious up-sides and exaggerate the down sides.

Sadly enough, I find Rockwell Software is better now than it was 15 years ago.
Once you have the ducks lined up, I find things go pretty good.
Back then I had to install a network distributed RSView 32 project in version 5...
Back then, there was the constant blue screen of death, computers freezing, installs that never seemed to work... similar to now but worse...

I have seen the other side of things. I know there are other platforms that are better in every metric than Rockwell, including MTTF, long term product support/availability, and support (often free and global). It's madness that they are the market leader. But, then again, you can't buy a metric tape measure off the shelf at Lowe's or Home Depot in America; some people dislike change so much, they can't see the obvious up-sides and exaggerate the down sides.

What is the other side?