Help printing PLC2 Ladder logic

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Wondering if anyone could help me print a the ladder from a PLC2/17 to a pdf format so I can share it with my oem who no longer has the hardware or software. I finally figured out how to use the AI software and connect to the processor. Took me a little while longer to figure out how to get the files off the old IBM thinkpad and on to my desktop. Now I cannot figure out how to convert them to a text document to print. I know there is a print option on the AI software but I do not have access to a printer on this old machine. Any help is appreciated.

wow that takes me back, i do have a dos machine that still runs 6200 software but not AI. but this old machine only has a parallel port for printer and i do not have one.

someone else may be able to help hopefully. there used to be a way to read the ladder in Xtree Gold or something like that from memory.

I can read the latter no problem on an old windows 95 laptop that we have. I've actually made a few changes recently to the program and need to send it to the oem. I am looking to upgrade to control logix but the oem doesn't have the equipment, software, or knowledge to help us directly.

This is the first upgrade that I have done from one generation to another, I plan on bringing in a service tech for a few days to help me at startup. The machines have not changed much over the last 35 years (way older than I am) but they cannot provide full support unless we do a complete controls upgrade including new wiring. This is too cost prohibitive, otherwise we would have done it years ago. I just need to send the service tech a copy of the ladder and cross reference.

I have an old copy with changes hand written in but it dint scan very well. LOL, it was printed on the old school dot matrix printers when the machine was newish. I have seen that there a few members here who have been willing to print these files in the past.

On a side note the laptop that I usually use for troubleshooting and changing the 2x machines that still have a PLC2 died on me the other day. I bought an exact model matching thinkpad from 1994 so I could swap the hard drive. I have no idea how the drivers work all I do is plug it in and hit the connect button. This laptop was apparently a collectors item because it came out in 1994 and we paid almost $1000 for it. I have been trying to install the software on a windows 95 VM and an old pdf printer driver for old versions of windows all week.

Also paraded around the plant with my floppy disk looking for a computer old enough to have a USB and a floppy reader. Not really relevant but it was still a bit of fun to show off.

Also paraded around the plant with my floppy disk looking for a computer old enough to have a USB and a floppy reader. Not really relevant but it was still a bit of fun to show off.

i still have a 3.5" floppy drive that is USB compatible, dos machine, Win 98 machine various other legacy peripherals even though i will never use them and the stuff is long gone, cannot bear to throw it out as its cool old school control stuff.

i do regret binning a very early Allen Bradley single address programmer for PLC 2 years ago ( this item pre dated the CRT screen "industrial Terminal" - remember search 99, search 53 and all that stuff)

i even have a custom made Zilog Z80 batch controller from 1979.

Wondering if anyone could help me print a the ladder from a PLC2/17 to a pdf format so I can share it with my oem who no longer has the hardware or software. I finally figured out how to use the AI software and connect to the processor. Took me a little while longer to figure out how to get the files off the old IBM thinkpad and on to my desktop. Now I cannot figure out how to convert them to a text document to print. I know there is a print option on the AI software but I do not have access to a printer on this old machine. Any help is appreciated.

The way we did it in the early 80's was to use a T3 terminal, and a serial printer.
Then, when the IBM-PC came out, we used Crosstalk to connect a PC to the serial port on a T3 terminal, and capture the text that came out.
I think the command was a SHIFT-44(but, this is a 40 year old memory)