MicroLogix 1200 to CompactLogix 5380 via ENI

Hello again,

I am currently attempting to retrieve one integer file from an existing MicroLogix 1200 that I have added a NET-ENI to. Communications seems to be working fine as I am able to go online with the 1200 and download, upload, etc.

We are attempting to bring all external data into our CompactLogix 5380 Master Control and have had success with most everything (Micro850's, ProSoft Gateways, other CompactLogix controllers), but I can't seem to get over this one hurdle.

It's a little depressing since MicroLogix 1200's were a way of life for us not long ago (been trying to utilize the Micro850 and have had great success in Program Conversions and Communications), but I am stumped on this.

Rather that necro a thread from 2011, I figured I'd start a new one. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

GrownUpGerberBaby said:
...I am currently attempting to retrieve one integer file from an existing MicroLogix 1200 that I have added a NET-ENI to. Communications seems to be working fine...

...I can't seem to get over this one hurdle...

...I am stumped on this...

...Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

In order to help the Forum help you, can you elaborate on what "this" is?

You would need to provide us a reasonable amount of details on which aspect of the communications is not working for you. Any specific error messages, screenshots, etc., that you can provide us?

When you say you can go "online with the 1200 and download, upload, etc.", which method of communications with the controller are you using - direct to controller serial port, via the 1761-NET-ENI)?

Paint us a Masterpiece, or at least doodle us something Naive (that's an art form in case anyone gets their nose out-of-joint!)

A a precursor, you do need to be careful with the newer 5069 CompactLogix controllers when configuring MSG instruction paths to external devices, or likewise from external devices to 5069 controllers. As they have two embedded Ethernet ports, and depending on which mode those ports are configured to operate under, the MSG path will vary.

This is a previous thread where I have briefly outlined the differences and why they exist...

MSG Instruction Communication Path (5069 controllers)

It may have nothing or everything to do with your issue here.

Regards,
George

Geospark,

Firstly, you honor me with your response. I've read a great deal of your posts to others having issues over the years and appreciate your expertise and willingness to help us all out.

I will take these notes into consideration upon my next time posting (we all know that this will not be the last). I appreciated the eloquence of your response and will elaborate further.

This, refers to Messaging. Your above link highlighted the possible issue I was encountering (down to the exact error code I was receiving) due to the fact that we are utilizing the Dual-IP Feature of the 5380 Controller.

I have applied what I read via the TechNote found at your link and am receiving a different error code regarding "Invalid Segment Type." To be honest, as I'm sure you can tell, I'm very new to Messaging between controllers and was spoiled with the CompactLogix controller I mentioned above due to the ability to add it to the Controller Tree. I could offer a variety of excuses as to why I didn't find the article covering Message Addressing in the CompactLogix, but the most honest one is that I simply am uneducated in the world of controller messaging (I've picked up quite a lot since beginning this project however).

I'm currently underway in researching why I'm getting the Invalid Segment error.

To elaborate the communication with the MicroLogix 1200, I had configured the NET-ENI and am able to communicate via Ethernet. (I know it has it's limits and many have had issues with it, but for someone who had previously only dealt with Direct Serial connections to the MicroLogix 1200, this piece of hardware is fantastic)

I will appreciate any further assistance you're willing to offer on the the new error code I'm seeing, and I'll be working from my end to find the solution.

I believe you've pointed me in the proper direction to find the solution.

Just wanted to update this thread with my progress.

As mentioned above, I was addressing the Message improperly due to the Dual-IP Feature we are using with our 5380. After applying the possible solution in the TechNote found at GeoSpark's Link, I started to receive a second error "Invalid Segment Type."

I had appended 1,0 to the Path and am yet getting another error "Insufficient Packet Space, Request too large." I'm only trying to obtain a value placed at N7:50.

My message configuration is set to SLC Typed Read, Source: N7:50, Element: 1, Destination: TagName (in this case, FlareSetFlow). Communication; Path: 4, IP, 1, 0, Method: CIP, Connection is not Cached.

I'm currently trying to see if others have had this experience and to find information regarding proper Source Addressing since addressing MicroLogix files has typically been where I've been wrong in the past.

GrownUpGerberBaby said:
...I was addressing the Message improperly due to the Dual-IP Feature we are using with our 5380. After applying the possible solution in the TechNote found at GeoSpark's Link, I started to receive a second error "Invalid Segment Type."...

...Destination: TagName (in this case, FlareSetFlow)...

An "Invalid Segment Type" error might occur if the size of the destination tag is not set correctly. As you are reading in an integer value (N7:50), make sure you have set the data type for the Logix 5000 tag "FlareSetFlow" as INT, and not the usual default data type of DINT.

GrownUpGerberBaby said:
...I had appended 1,0 to the Path and am yet getting another error "Insufficient Packet Space, Request too large."...

Why did you append "1,0"? This would only be necessary when configuring a MSG path to a slot based controller, such as a ControlLogix. This points the MSG to the backplane and then to the processor. For the MicroLogix 1200 simply leave the path as 4, IP (of the NET-ENI).

GrownUpGerberBaby said:
...My message configuration is set to SLC Typed Read, Source: N7:50, Element: 1, Destination: TagName (in this case, FlareSetFlow). Communication; Path: 4, IP, 1, 0, Method: CIP, Connection is not Cached...

Again, drop the "1,0" and make sure the Logix 5000 tag is data type INT.

Hopefully it's one or both of those settings that's the issue here?

EDIT: Sorry Widelto, but not to confuse the issue here for the OP - they are configuring the MSG instruction in the Logix 5000 controller to read an integer value from the MicroLogix controller.
That document outlines the configuration of a MSG instruction in the MicroLogix controller to read/write a Logix 5000 controller and also involves PLC/SLC mapping, which is not required here.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I have removed the "1,0" now I'm receiving a Connection Failure Error.

I've also removed and recreated the FlareSetFlow tag to re-verify that is is indeed set for INT.

I've attempted to utilize a free-running TON to true/false the rung and the error persists.

Might there being an underlying issue since I'm attempting to read an Integer File that is being updated by an SCP in the ML1200? The file is meant to contain Flow Rate that is updated at User-Defined intervals via a free-running timer.

I appreciate the links, Shawn and Widelto.

Last edited:
Does the subnet mask in your ENI match the subnet mask in your 5380 and are they in the same network space? The connection failure might be an indication of a networking problem.

I hope this isn't the issue and I'll feel like a heel if it is, but I realized that I hadn't mentioned the fact that I'm employing an Anybus Wireless Bridge II between the switch and the ENI. I didn't think much of it since I don't have any trouble downloading, uploading, going online via Ethernet.

Might there be any reason this would affect the messaging side of things since it's essentially a Wireless Ethernet connection taking the place of a Wired connection?

GrownUpGerberBaby said:
I hope this isn't the issue and I'll feel like a heel if it is, but I realized that I hadn't mentioned the fact that I'm employing an Anybus Wireless Bridge II between the switch and the ENI

Now we have a wireless bridge and a switch. Perhaps my painting analogy was a poor choice as you are obviously a slow painter! :ROFLMAO:

"switch" could mean a "light switch", if we wanted to be really smart-a$$'d here. So in other words, what switch exactly (make/model...managed/unmanaged)?

It's not that this will definitely not work. It should, in theory, but there may be aspects of these additional device configurations which are either impeding or delaying the MSG communications.

Do you also connect to the same switch from your workstation computer to communicate with the controller, or both controllers?

Keep painting!

Regards,
George

Geospark, I truly apologize for neglecting to mention the full setup. To be fair though, I never was much of a painter... that's why I'm an electrician šŸ˜.

As for the switch, it is a Netgear GS110TP managed switch.

My laptop is connected to the network via a Stratix 1783-US8T which is on our Machine Level 192.168.1 Network. The 5380 is also connected to the Stratix on Port A1.

For the 192.168.60 Network; MicroLogix 1200 --> RS232 --> ENI --> Cat6 --> Wireless Bridge (Anybus) --> Wireless --> Access Point (Also Anybus) --> Cat6 --> Netgear --> Cat6 --> A2 Port on the 5380. (The arrows are only meant to show connection starting from one end)

Whew, that was a long breath gone. Sounds like a mess when it's written out like that.

In the CompactLogix Message, I've addressed port A2 (4) to send to 192.168.60.160 (MicroLogix1200 via ENI)

That's not a mess. That is clearing things up a great deal. However, I am failing to see how your workstation laptop reaches the MicroLogix 1200 when it is connected to the Stratix 1783-US8T?

The A1 "Enterprise" port on the CompactLogix is also connected to the Stratix switch so that would allow it to communicate with the 192.168.1.x Subnet and your laptop.

The A2 "Device Level" port on the CompactLogix is connected to the Netgear switch so that would allow it to communicate with the 192.168.60.x Subnet and potentially reach the MicroLogix at 192.168.60.160.

But how does the laptop route from the Stratix switch to go online with the MicroLogix? Is there a routed link between the Stratix and the Netgear or do you move the laptop to the Netgear switch when doing this (also changing the IP address and/or Subnet)?

Whether you have been doing it or not; with the laptop connected to the Netgear switch (if possible), can you PING the ENI at 192.168.60.160? (make sure laptop is on correct Subnet)

Does the MicroLogix communicate with anything else via the ENI or has the ENI only been added to facilitate this MSG'ing from the CompactLogix?

G.

Geospark,

Within our Machine Network, now this was done early on to allow me remote access, there are two more Stratix Switches that are integrated into the Intellicenter MCC (the 5380 is not part of this in the sense that it was not included with since we were expecting to meet integration expectations in the near future; i.e. now, a pretty sore subject for us with our wholesaler).

I digress, within our Machine Level network, we also have another route to the .60 network from one of the Itellicenter Stratix Switches. So essentially a loop around the 5380 to tie our .1 to the .60 network. This also allows our central site HMI to connect to both networks.

So, in a little roundabout way, travelling through several Stratix and Netgear switches, my laptop connects to the MicroLogix in very much the same path as the 5380 i.e. same Netgear before the Anybus. The 5380 just travels to the Netgear before the Anybus on port A2.

As for the MicroLogix via ENI, it does not connect to anything other than the Anybus to the Netgear with only the intent to retrieve the value that started this topic and centralize it in the 5380 along with so many other values we've collected thus far.

Having a second mini-DIN port, the MicroLogix does connect to an AutomationDirect HMI, but is not setup to connect to anything else.

EDIT: I did a PING just now; 4 packets sent, 4 received, 0% Loss and an average latency of 34ms.

Last edited: