PLC for MES developers

plc_with_tea

Hello everyone,

I have relatively recently changed fields and became an MES and HMI developer (previously was a web designer -> front end developer). I have been struggling with the implementation of the communication side between an MES service or HMI (all in .NET technologues) with a PLC, regardless of the technology (OPC-UA, TCP, OPC DA; Siemens, Beckhoff, Rexroth) since I do not have enough knowledge about PLCs and would like to address that issue.

For example, I was surprised to learn how short the cycle times are, that a variable is checked cyclically for changes in order to decide which function block to execute.

Does someone of you have recommendation for resources/books/online courses that would help me in understanding PLCs (and generally automation systems) from the view of an MES developer. What design patterns should I use when implementing my code? Example state machines? Example programs on GitHub? Common things I should know about networking/connection errors?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Many greetings

Last edited: