Automation Direct PLC with PanelView Plus?

Brian_Nelson

Does anyone know if it is possible to control an Automation Direct PLC (P3-550E) using an Allen Bradley Panelview HMI (2711P series)?

I'm not finding a way to link the tags from the AD PLC to the AB HMI.

Thanks for any comments!

Brian

You can use either an Ethernet/IP connection, which is what the panelview prefers. Here is a search with some videos from automationdirect. You will probably have to set up the memory map of the data yourself:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eth...69i57j69i58.5420j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Due to the difference in vendors, I doubt you will just be able to just use the Produce/Consume model as easily as you can with an AB PLC.

Thanks for the feedback Sparkie!
I figured there would be some mapping setup to do. I'm new to the Automation Direct PLC's so I'll certainly take a look at the videos.

The one and only time I used a Panelview Plus to talk to a non-AB PLC, I had to use Kepware. That's AB's method of talking to any and all non-AB PLC's with a PVP. Kepware comes bundled with the PVP; you just have to re-flash the firmware and select the particular Kepware driver for your device. I'm not certain on whether or not Kepware has an AD driver suitable for your PLC, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

It's possible there are other ways to do it without using Kepware, as sparkie mentioned above, but I'm not familiar enough with AD PLC's to comment. If I had to come up with an answer, I'd just check Kepware for an AD driver, and if I found one, my answer would be "yes, I can do that".

I'm not certain on whether or not Kepware has an AD driver suitable for your PLC, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.
If not you can use Modbus to communicate with Kepware. The Productivity Suite software will assign Modbus Addresses for you automatically so at least that part is easy.

If not you can use Modbus to communicate with Kepware. The Productivity Suite software will assign Modbus Addresses for you automatically so at least that part is easy.

On a side note, productivity will auto sign modbus as you go,so if feasible, it is best to wait until the end to assign them.