calculating rpm off pulses from a High-Speed Input

Having the prox too close to the teeth can be as bad as too far away. Too far away and the duration of the ON signal isn't long enough to be detected. Too close and the duration of the OFF signal isn't long enough to be detected. The HSC counts transitions.

this is something i did not know. so just to make sure im following this right for this application here.

1,400rpm
21 tooth trigger wheel.

1,400 rpm, 23.3 revs per second. 23.3 x 21 = 490 pulses per second. BUT youre saying that the HSC actually counts transitions. so really that counter is seeing 980 pulses in that time frame?

Whether the HSC counts both off-to-on and on-to-off transitions or only the off-to-on transitions depends on the brand of PLC and the hardware configuration. Some brands can handle quadrature encoders as well as single channel pulse trains. I don't know whether it is the case for the OP's HSC, but yes, it is possible that those 21 teeth at 1400 RPM could be processed as 980 counts per revolution.

My point about the downside of mounting the prox too close to the target is that the spec for the maximum pulse rate the HSC can handle is based on a square wave pulse train in which the on and off portions are equal in duration.

For the sake of simple calculation, let's use 500pulses per second as an example. At that frequency, each pulse occupies 2 milliseconds, ideally 1 mS on and 1 mS off.

But suppose the prox is mounted close to the target and the actual pulse is 1.9 mS on and 0.1 mS off. The HSC has to be able to detect the 0.1 mS off signal. If it needs to detect a 0.1 mS off duration it stands to reason it must also be able to detect a 0.1 ms on duration as well. Therefore it must be capable of detecting a square wave pulse train of 0.2 mS duration which equates to a frequency of 5000 PPS.

The same analysis applies to the case when the prox is too far away from the target so that the on duration of the pulse is reduced.

We use Red Lion Controls LMPC sensors, IMI meters, and their 60 tooth sensing gear to display some speeds and monitor with 4-20mA to the PLC. This sensor is good to 10 kHz pulse. Response time seems to be about 0.2 seconds. Converting to analog with an external device might be worthwhile.

Whether the HSC counts both off-to-on and on-to-off transitions or only the off-to-on transitions depends on the brand of PLC and the hardware configuration. Some brands can handle quadrature encoders as well as single channel pulse trains. I don't know whether it is the case for the OP's HSC, but yes, it is possible that those 21 teeth at 1400 RPM could be processed as 980 counts per revolution.

My point about the downside of mounting the prox too close to the target is that the spec for the maximum pulse rate the HSC can handle is based on a square wave pulse train in which the on and off portions are equal in duration.

For the sake of simple calculation, let's use 500pulses per second as an example. At that frequency, each pulse occupies 2 milliseconds, ideally 1 mS on and 1 mS off.

But suppose the prox is mounted close to the target and the actual pulse is 1.9 mS on and 0.1 mS off. The HSC has to be able to detect the 0.1 mS off signal. If it needs to detect a 0.1 mS off duration it stands to reason it must also be able to detect a 0.1 ms on duration as well. Therefore it must be capable of detecting a square wave pulse train of 0.2 mS duration which equates to a frequency of 5000 PPS.

The same analysis applies to the case when the prox is too far away from the target so that the on duration of the pulse is reduced.

Excellent information there. Thank you!

Thanks for this, Steve. I did not realize this either

We use Red Lion Controls LMPC sensors, IMI meters, and their 60 tooth sensing gear to display some speeds and monitor with 4-20mA to the PLC. This sensor is good to 10 kHz pulse. Response time seems to be about 0.2 seconds. Converting to analog with an external device might be worthwhile.

I will definitely keep this in mind. That would be an option