Encoder module vs. HSC module

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I have two almost identical systems running side-by-side. They both use the same encoder connected to Flex I/O. One, however, uses a 1794-HSC and the other uses a 1794-ID2. Not being real acquainted with using PLC's for position I am not sure what the difference is between using the high speed counter module or using the incremental encoder module. Could someone please explain why someone would use one over the other? Thank you.

Does one application need to know which direction movement is? I presume the ID2 would be able to provide that and the HSC could not?

I have no experience with either modules, but it looks like the 1794-VHSC operates at a higher speed (1MHz) and has HSC outputs. The 1794-ID2 operates at 100KHz and does not have any output channels. The 1794-ID2 is less expensive, but doesn't have all the same capabilities.

Edit: all, It appears the VHSC is more configurable for different input types, where the ID2 is more strictly for encoders?

Last edited:
The VHSC module can count up and down and can be used very well for positioning control
Set it up for quadrature the UP down will give you the direction of rotation.
For A leads B Rev B leads A
The VHSC module will give the motor speed as well (Rate in Hz)
It could be they need either direction or rate or both in the program.
I don’t understand why they would use 2 different input modules the VHSC module has 2 separate quadrature encoder inputs they can be set up and reset separately

I have no experience with either modules, but it looks like the 1794-VHSC operates at a higher speed (1MHz) and has HSC outputs. The 1794-ID2 operates at 100KHz and does not have any output channels. The 1794-ID2 is less expensive, but doesn't have all the same capabilities.

Edit: all, It appears the VHSC is more configurable for different input types, where the ID2 is more strictly for encoders?

Thank you much for this information. (y)

The VHSC module can count up and down and can be used very well for positioning control
Set it up for quadrature the UP down will give you the direction of rotation.
For A leads B Rev B leads A
The VHSC module will give the motor speed as well (Rate in Hz)
It could be they need either direction or rate or both in the program.
I don’t understand why they would use 2 different input modules the VHSC module has 2 separate quadrature encoder inputs they can be set up and reset separately

They are two extrusion systems, set up almost side-by-side. One was built about 6 years ago, the other was just recently built. I do know that when this puller returns to the press, it's doing about 25mph, which would probably be why this person opt'd for the VHSC, after reading an earlier comment about the speed comparison of the two devices. This is just a guess. Thank you.

Don't overlook the possibility that the delivery date for the machinery was looming and all the OEM could get in time was one of each module.

Yes! I believe I see a lot of that in this system....way oversized VFD's, probably because it was what was available, etc...

Was the extrusion system built in Kent, WA ?

I might have been part of the design and selection process for the predecessors of that system, back when they were migrating from 1394 to Kinetix 6000.