OT - Cisco IE 2000 Switch

jkerekes

I’m having an issue resetting the configuration of an IE 2000 switch. Someone incorrectly configured the switch. The resetting method with the express setup doesn’t work. The EXP LED turns red. I managed to get online with the switch with the USB connection. But I don’t know the CLI commands to reset the switch.

Also when I tried to reset, I got the following on the CLI interface:

*Jan 2 01:03:32.764: %CLS_ACC-2-SETUP_BTN_PRS: setup/admin button pressed
*Jan 2 01:03:32.764: %CLS_ACC-3-UNABLE_TO_RESET_CONFIG: Switch already has configuration's cannot enter Express Setup
*Jan 2 01:03:42.772: %CLS_ACC-2-MODE_EXITED: Complete consoleless access from mode EXPRESS SETUP
*Jan 2 01:03:44.802: %CLS_ACC-2-SETUP_BTN_PRS: setup/admin button pressed to enter DHCP client mode
*Jan 2 01:03:44.802: %CLS_ACC-3-UNABLE_TO_RESET_CONFIG: Switch already has configuration's cannot enter Express Setup
*Jan 2 01:03:44.802: %SYS-3-HARIKARI: Process Express Setup DHCP Init top-level routine exited
*Jan 2 00:01:20.237: %USB_CONSOLE-6-MEDIA_USB: Console media

I just want to reset the switch back to factory default settings.

Thanks.

I have had the same battle, with this switch.

I had to use the reset button a few times before I was able to connect via the express setup.

I've lost count on how many times I tried. The EXP goes red. And even the feedback from the CLI says it cant"

Jan 2 01:03:32.764: %CLS_ACC-3-UNABLE_TO_RESET_CONFIG: Switch already has configuration's cannot enter Express Setup

Thanks for the input.

I've lost count on how many times I tried. The EXP goes red. And even the feedback from the CLI says it cant"

Jan 2 01:03:32.764: %CLS_ACC-3-UNABLE_TO_RESET_CONFIG: Switch already has configuration's cannot enter Express Setup

Thanks for the input.

How long are you holding the reset button? Sometimes switches have a "soft" reset if you press or hold the button for a certain amount of time, and a "hard" reset if you hold it for longer.

Also, it may require a specific power-up sequence in order to reset, for example holding the reset during power up or something like that.

Actually, I just googled the manual - it says this on page 78:

To reset the switch:
1. Press and hold the Express Setup button for about 10 seconds. The switch reboots. The system LED turns green
after the switch completes rebooting.
2. Press the Express Setup button again for 3 seconds. A switch 10/100 Ethernet port blinks green.

Yes, I know about that procedure. It didn't work. I did it numerous times. Held the little button in for 15 seconds or more. Always the EXP LED turned red. Then pressed it for three seconds. No luck.

If I remember correct I powered the switch up while holding the reset button, I had to do this a few times before it worked, I never found a logical patten for this, just kept beating on it until it kicked in

Yeah no luck. I got info from the Cisco forum:

- <enter> (to get a prompt)
- switchname> enable (go into enable mode)
- switchname# write erase
- switchname# reload (do not save configuration!)

Someone else said:

Once you have access, the command “erase startup config” would blow away the entirety of the existing configuration, if that is something you’re looking to do, allowing you to completely restart the switch’s setup.

Haven't had a chance to try either.