RS Linx and RS Networx/DeviceNet - Cannot Drill down to backplane to see 1747-SDN

Good Morning ,

After all these years , I still can't wrap my head around DeviceNet :( . I have RS Networx / DeviceNet. I would like to upload the Scanlist from the 1747-SDN , but I cannot "drill down" to the 1747-SDN or the other cards . I'm communicating with Ethernet with a SLC 5/05 . I created another Ethernet Driver and was able to drill down to at least the CPU , but I see nothing else along the backplane.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks so much , like always .

Hi

Two things

1: you need to set up the pass through driver After you have the Ethernet driver set up

2: it’s not like using it in clx or compact logic. You will
Open rs network for device net you point it to the slc processor set up
In the lads through driver.

Thanks

Donnchadh

Thanks ,

1: you need to set up the pass through driver After you have the Ethernet driver set up .

I create an Ethernet Devices Driver , not a Ethernet/ IP Driver , correct ?
When I create the Ethernet Driver , I have Station Mapping . In Slot 0 I put
the IP Address of the CPU , what would I put in Slots 1,2,3 , etc. ?

2: it’s not like using it in clx or compact logic. You will
Open rs network for device net you point it to the slc processor set up
In the lads through driver.

I'm sorry, I'm having a difficult time understanding this.

In RSLinx, you need to set up a "1747-SDNPT" Pass-Through Driver.

This is not a "drill down" mechanism like other drivers. You designate an SLC controller and a Slot number for a 1747-SDN, and that becomes the driver that lets you connect to the DeviceNet. You can have up to four 1747-SDN scanners configured in the driver.

The Pass-Through Driver depends on having another driver that talks to the SLC-500 already set up. For an SLC-5/05 you can use either Ethernet Devices or EtherNet/IP drivers.

The Pass-Through Driver also requires a handful of prerequisites, including a particular firmware in the 1747-SDN (at least 4.015) and a configuration of a backplane buffer of sufficient size.

Details on the firmware and M0/M1 file size are in the Knowledgebase and in the RSLinx Classic Help file.

Thanks Ken .

In RSLinx, you need to set up a "1747-SDNPT" Pass-Through Driver.
I do not see the "1747-SDNPT" listed in the RS Linx Drivers ?

The Pass-Through Driver also requires a handful of prerequisites, including a particular firmware in the 1747-SDN (at least 4.015)
We have FRM 6.002

and a configuration of a backplane buffer of sufficient size.
Where do you create this ?

Thanks again,

Hi

Ken is correct on the name of the pass through driver I could not remember the name of it .as to why you can’t see the driver I am not sure
What version of linx are you using

On the buffet size I would not worry about that yet as if it is incorrect a message will pop up telling you the memory is incorrect size and it will tell you which M words to adjust.

I am almost sure ( dangerous that almost statement) that the driver is in linx lite but as I use linx classic I am 100% sure it is in that version.

Thanks

Donnchadh

I show the "DeviceNet Drivers {1770-KFD,SDNPT drivers} in RSLinx 4.0 on one of my laptops but not in my other running 2.57

I believe that the "DeviceNet Pass Through Drivers" was removed from a handful of releases of RSLinx Classic because of some 32/64 bit driver conflicts, but that's been quite a few years ago.

The driver selection is named "DeviceNet Drivers (1770-KFD,SDNPT)" in the pull-down selector for configuring a new driver.

I have those drivers in RSLinx Lite Version 3.81 on Windows 10 Professional.

Update ......

RS Linx Classic
I was able to find the driver -
DeviceNet Drivers [1784-PCD/PCIDS,1770-KFD,SDNPT Drivers ]

Then I selected Allen Bradley 1747-SDNPT
Select
Then i changed the dropdown to slot 2 for the 1747- Devicenet card

RS Networx / DeviceNet
Under network I select go online. It started browsing
On the message bar I first got ....Mode changed to online D810!1747-SDNPT-1
The next statement on message bar...The Browse Operation has timed out.
Verify that RS Linx is running and that the driver is correctly configured.

More questions........

I have not been around RS Networx/DeviceNet much . I'm surprised there
is not a Upload and Download Scanlist or anything like that. Is there anything like that ?

Also , I have SLC 500 rack in the office that does not have any nodes hooked up , is that why I'm getting these messages ?

Thanks so much in advance .

As an aside, l mucked around in rsl5000 and couldn't drill down in RSNetWorx for Devicenet, then later l realized l was using RSNetWorx for Controlnet, silly me.

Hi

This is just from memory but I think you select the SLC processor when setting up the pass through drives not the device net card. When you browse then from rs networks you then drill to the d net card.
Once the network is scanned right click in the white area and press upload from network. This will then up load from all nodes found and also upload your scan list in the d net card. You can then go into your d net card to see the scan list , make changes etc and then download scan list changes

Donnchadh

I have SLC 500 rack in the office that does not have any nodes hooked up , is that why I'm getting these messages ?

Very probably, yes. The software can't browse for nodes that are not there.

The very first thing that a device does to "go online" with a network is send out a "duplicate MAC ID check" packet. If it doesn't get at least a "nope, that's not me" reply from another device, it knows there's nothing on the network or it's transmitting at the wrong speed, and it will not attempt further network traffic.

I'm not sure if RSNetworx can use the 1747-SDNPT driver to go online with a DeviceNet network that has no other participants, solely to upload the Scanlist from the 1747-SDN itself.

You could do that with a 1784-PCD or 1770-KFD or 1784-U2DHP because those create a two-node DeviceNet with the 1747-SDN.

In general once the 1747-SDN appears in the network browse in RSNetworx for DeviceNet, you can highlight it and select "upload" or "download".

Please remember that RSNetworx uses the same terminology as normal PLCs; "download" means transferring the configuration from your computer to the device. If you "download" from an empty RSNetworx project, you will erase the configuration in the 1747-SDN.