Citect 6.10, Modbus Plus and Virtual Machines

cyoung120

Hi Guys,
I currently have a customer that has their Citect 6.10 SCADA system running on two WindowsXP SP2 PC's. They are connected to 10 remote Modicon PLC via Modbus Plus. The operators have been using Teamviewer to log in remotely after hours to check on the status of the plant. Recently, Teamviewer updated and no longer works. Doing some Google'in, Teamviewer needs to be on a PC with at least WindowsXP SP3. We found a workaround for them, but it is not ideal.
I was wondering if anyone has updated a WindowsXP SP2 to SP3 that was running Citect. We are hesitant to do this. The application is full of Cicode and its hard to say if there is some dependency that could go missing after the upgrade. I am going to reach out to Citect later today, but I am not getting my hopes up, last time I contacted them, their response was "that product is no longer supported".

Another thought is to "Virtualize" the PC and run in VMWare on a new PC. The major hurdle with this is the Modbus Plus. I found this device:

https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product/TSXCUSBMBP/usb-gateway---modbus-plus-bus/

I am unsure if this will work, I am not sure if the host will pass it thru to the VM. The documentation lists Vista as the newest operating system this device is compatible with.

If you need more details please let me know.
I am open to suggestions as to a better route. This is a municipality so coming in and replacing everything really isn't an option (even though that would be the best)

Thanks

some years back i did a xp to win 7 O/S change with citect V7.2 staying same, lots of cicode issues arose, due to different directory paths in the O/S.

if you go this route beware that the directory structure for post XP is different with Program Data folder being new to later O/S.

scneider has a document where you can do a stepped migration from earlier versions (from V5 i think)to V7.5 and beyond. the directory structure will still be an issue though.

my suggestion is do the migration now while its available and support guys know of issues. in a few years time it will be a even bigger leap.