Recommended data speed and fiber optics limit for scada

IdealDan

Hi Friends,
A few clarifications here please (Generic or typical answers will be appreciated please) :
1. How Fiber optic Repeaters or Amplifiers are allowed for a particular network and what typical distance can one repeater add?
2. What is the recommended SCADA data Transmission Speed
3. Can a Fiber Optic Cable be connected to a PLC/RTU/SCADA directly or it must be via a converter (say Optic-Ethernet) ?
4. Does Allen Bradley and Siemens own any RTU?
Regards

1) A repeater which regenerates and retimes the signal can extend these signals quite far. Using OM1 Multimode fiber, 1000meters would be not unreasonable for a 100base-fx signal. Assuming of course the fiber is in good condition, clean, and the hardware support this.
2) Depends on your application, 100base-fx is a good place to start.
3) Yes, some support direct connections to fiber.

I wouldn't put OM1 in for new applications. We use mostly OM4 or singlemode fiber.

Last edited:
1) A repeater which regenerates and retimes the signal can extend these signals quite far. Using OM1 Multimode fiber, 1000meters would be not unreasonable for a 100base-fx signal. Assuming of course the fiber is in good condition, clean, and the hardware support this.
2) Depends on your application, 100base-fx is a good place to start.
3) Yes, some support direct connections to fiber.

I wouldn't put OM1 in for new applications. We use mostly OM4 or singlemode fiber.
Thanks for your input bro.

But Like what typical distance can one repeater add to the network and how many Repeaters are allowed in a network. (up to ten or more?)

Regards

Using my above SWAG, each repeater would be good for another 1000m.

No idea on a limit for repeaters, Someone w/ some telco experience might be able to answer that. Those runs can go for 100s of miles. Max i've seen in an industrial application was 2 because they wanted to reuse existing fiber and not put in singlemode(which w/ the right hardware can deal w/ much greater distances).

There are so many variables. Fiber type, data bandwidth requirements, distance, speed.
It is a lot easier to define, what your requirements for the data are, and then spec out the fiber to meet it.

For instance, you can go many Kilometers with single mode fiber and then convert to multi-mode for short hops. So your repeater question is determined by fiber type and distances.

I have encountered issues where single mode was used for a short distance, about 1000 meters, and we had to "dull" the signal with little rubber sleeves on the fiber ends..

See here for a few examples of what's typical: https://www.lanshack.com/Fiber-Type-vs-Speed-and-Distance.aspx

Last edited: