SLC 500 Where do the programs reside?

realolman

I don't know the correct terminology so I will tell you what I mean by a few words, so you will know what I am talking about ...even if I don't. Please correct me to use the proper terminology.

Program - the .RSS file that makes the machine do what it does

Recipes - a bunch of parameters that the operator can set to make the program act a little differently for different products. The operator may choose from a list of several different recipes that remain through power cycles.

We have an SLC 500 in a machine that did not operate for several months. The processor has an 1747-m11 memory module. the battery in the processor died .

The program was still there, but the recipes were not .

I did nothing special when I started the machine to get the program onto the PLC.

Where is this stuff stored? The program was apparently non volatile... the recipes were apparently volatile.

What types of memory are on the SLC 500 /3 and what is stored there? If, in my case, the program was stored on the memory module, is there a way I can store the recipes there as well.

Is there non-volatile memory on the SLC 500 other than the memory module, or is it dependant on the battery.

Would someone discuss the memory types available on the SLC 500, and how to use them ( how to read from the memory module or write to the memory module) ...or direct me to where I can read about it... I couldn't really find much at Allen Bradley

thanks

The memory module stores the complete PLC program and data files as they were when the memory module was written. If the recipes are entered and will stay fairly stable then, once they are entered, perform a save to the memory module. They will then be present in that form when the machine needs to restart using the module.

Otherwise, provide for a fresh battery if a long period of non-use is anticipated or provide power just to the PLC while the machine is stored.

1st, as you describe it, the recipes was in PLC RAM memory.

The memory module is an EEPROM. The CPU has to be put in program mode to write the EEPROM, so it is no good on a running machine. Apart from that you can indeed make a "snapshot" of the RAM memory, including the recipes, by writing the EEPROM. Since recipes are probably edited regularly, it is probably not the solution you are after.

The most typical solution would be that recipes are stored somewhere else.
The simpler solution could be on some kind of operator panel. Some vendors solution includes that the operator panel stores the recipes on a flash card on the panel itself.
The more advanced solution could be that the recipes are stored somewhere on a network server connected via the companys LAN. The recipe could then be in an SQL database for example.

Thank you for your reply.

So, if I were to go out there right now, I could write the memory module, and everything that was in the processor, programs, recipes and all would be in the module?

I could install the memory module in a new processor and the machine would run just like the old one did when I took it out?

I guess that's part of what I'm asking... how to read and write to the memory module. DO I need to hook up the computer with RSLogix 500?... can I do it with just the PLC with a jumper or the switch?

If there had not been a memory module installed in the case I posted, would there have been nothing at all in the PLC?

Was something set so that the processor was empty because of the extended power loss, but read the module on power up?

thank you

I wrote this before I read Jesper's reply... I would like to be able to store everything as it was on the machine today, so that if we need it we can install it on a new processor or an emply processor in the future, and have at that point what we have today without having to punch in a bunch of new recipes on the panelview... How does one do that?

Last edited:
So, if I were to go out there right now, I could write the memory module, and everything that was in the processor, programs, recipes and all would be in the module?
Yes.
I could install the memory module in a new processor and the machine would run just like the old one did when I took it out?
Yes.
DO I need to hook up the computer with RSLogix 500
Yes.
can I do it with just the PLC with a jumper or the switch?
No.
If there had not been a memory module installed in the case I posted, would there have been nothing at all in the PLC?
Correct.
Was something set so that the processor was empty because of the extended power loss, but read the module on power up?
On the program stored on the memory module, the bit S:1/10 ("Load memory module on memory error") must be set.