GE Rx3i Register Issue

ZestyMozzarella

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone, not sure if anyone else has ever witnessed this in a GE Rx3i register value, but I got a floating point value being fed into a register written there from a Wonderware HMI. Every now and then, my reading freezes and emits the code "1.#QOE+000". I have the register viewing as scientific notation, so the code is probably QO. Been looking through the help file and found nothing, GE has also been vague. I got a feeling this issue is a problem with the data coming in and it's structure perhaps? Curious if anyone else has dealt with or seen this issue before? Thanks and I attached a photo for viewing.

Register issue.jpg

You're using addressed variables. Assuming the variable "R02100" addressed to %R02100 is declared as a REAL (32-bit), it actually consumes the addresses %R02100 and %R02101. If something else in the program overwrites %R2101 it could cause the behavior you see.
Take a look at the bit pattern of the two registers and see if the value displayed by Proficy corresponds to the value obtained when you run the bit pattern through an IEE754 calculator. Or if the bit pattern represents an invalid IEE754 number.
Are those valid values? What are you measuring?

Last edited:
I have had variables used in the hardware configuration not always show up when searching.
So...right click "Hardware Configuration" and select "Hardware Reference View". This will show you all the variables used in your hardware configuration. Here you can check for usages of %R02100 and %R02101 in you hardware configuration.

You may also have to dump your Intouch database and make sure the variables are not written to from somewhere else.....like a script.

Thanks everyone.

These are all fresh variable locations separated with plenty of room. I assured myself before allocating them, that they're not part of any other locations or scripting. I believe I'm dealing with a data type issue. This original process and the data incoming to the MAVG input goes as follows:

Keyence Vision controller (string data type over ethernet, measurement values in the thou scale) -> Kepware IO -> Wonderware HMI -> PLC via a script every one second

I was originally told that Wonderware converts the data type for me...allegedly when I read in the string data type and send it to a tag read in as an IO Real, it converts it for me. I then send that data into the PLC register. Prior I was sending the data from Kepware to our Historian then into our Wonderware HMI, I eliminated the Historian and segregated it, I read in now directly from the IO Server which seems better. I think I have an issue that the data being sent by Wonderware sometimes errors or is not a proper floating point value and once an error is received, the register does not recover without re-downloading.

I definitely think it's a data type issue. If anyone has practice with taking strings from IO Servers and sending them into a PLC and has dealt with this sort of issue or has recommendations for better practices...I'm all ears. Appreciate the advice so far!