AB Basic module

DeepSIX

Hello,
I have installed a AB basic module(1746-BAS) on a SLC 5/04.
I am tring to use one of the ports as a RS232 comm port. The last time I did this it was 1994/95 on a SLC 5/02. I need a second rs232 port so that I can connect the HMI on this port and this will free up CH0 on the processor.
I will be using that port for a 1761-NET-ENIW (Ethernet module). This will alow the SLC to be added to the local network.

If any one can point me in the right direction to get this to work, that would be great.
Thanks

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do as a 1761 is a micrologix card.

Sounds like you have already bought a basic card but have you considered using a controllogix backplane with a DHRIO card and a ENET card in it. You don't need a processor and from what the salesmen tell me RSLINX pretty much sets everything up for you although I have never tried it. This would allow you to keep your DH untouched and allow for future expansion. Just a thought.

I have some sample programing for a 5/04 with a basic module communicating RS232 to an Indramat controller that I can get to you if you'd like but it won't be until tommorrow night.

let me know

One of the reasons that communications in the ControlLogix was made modular is the limited ability for expansion of the SLC-500 family communications.

You can't just slap a BASIC module (or anything else) into the SLC backplane and expect to be able to address SLC data tables through one of its ports.

For an HMI-only application like this, I would recommend instead the Prosoft MVI46-DFCM module. That module automatically emulates 4000 words worth of SLC-500 data table. All you have to do is send some setup blocks to it and start schlepping data blocks back and forth via M-files.

With the BASIC module, you're going to have to write code to GET incoming DF1 packets and manually program the handling of their data between the SLC M0/M1 files and the I/O buffer. I've never seen an example of a successful implementation of an "DF1 expansion port" using a BASIC module.

If your time is at all expensive, it's going to be cheaper and faster to use a 1756-DHRIO/1756-ENBT ControlLogix gateway to get your SLC-5/04 onto the IP network, or migrate to an SLC-5/05 CPU.

Unless you truly understand the "basic" programming language you will spend a lot of trial and error in this project. I have done some 232 comms with the basic but it is rough and I have yet to get exactly what I want.

Good luck. Sounds like an upgrade to a 5/05 would be a better choice.

Drewcrew6

I had all the parts on hand and was trying to get the most out of it with no money spent.

allscott,
I have used a few of the 1761- net eni modules on SLC 5/04 to get them connected to an ethernet network before. Huge price difference between it and a SLC 5/05.

Well the 5/05 may be the way to go.

I will look at the prosoft card to see the cost on it.