SCADAPack 535 E - Best Practice for Modbus TCP and DNP3 COMMS

tbennett4u

Hi, new to SCADAPacks in general, have a project with a SCADAPack 535 E and I'm running into issues where I seem to be overtaxing the controller regardless of how I try to implement Modbus Communications or Point Database manipulations... to the point where I can no long download updates (without first clearing the resources with e-configurator).

Q1.
Wondering if someone can point me to, or provide me with, best practices with respect to Modbus TCP communications. I have used the IO device style configuration and that is...
A) laborious to setup (40+ devices, with reads and writes, so potentially 80+ IO devices)
B) provides no status information, as far as I can tell
C) causes performance issues (especially when the field devices are disconnected.
I am switching to the e-configurator modbus scanner, but fear similar results.

Q2.
The data collected via Modbus TCP then needs to be served up via DNP3. I implemented some fairly extensive logic to get point values and set them to other points (lots of points) and found that to ramp up my scan time to nearly 7000ms and created an issue where I could no long download updates to the PLC (without first clearing the resources with e-configurator).

People seem to love these things but I'm having nothing but trouble so far. I'm wondering if I'm doing this the wrong way.

40 devices sounds like a reasonably sized project. How quickly were you messaging each one?

I have more experiences with the 575 using RemoteConnect. But I have always used IOScanning with Schneider devices that provide it and 40 devices should be ok provided you use a sensible interval time. Start at 500ms and decrease from there if you need to.

Its been about 3 years since i looked at isagraf and Econfigurator, but how are you copying between modbus and DNP3 points? You shouldn't need to do any code unless you're doing type conversation (like packing / unpacking bits).

You can assign a modbus address to a DNP3 point in the point database. It'll be a pain manually but I'm pretty sure you can import / export so manipulation in excel is the way to go.

My apologies for the delay in response. Yes things went much better once I decided to use the Modbus Scanning configuration in e-configurator and avoided further data manipulation in logic (workbench) to the greatest degree possible.