1756-IF16 Single-Ended Current App wiring

ryanweber101

I am trying to spec out some PLC modules for an upcoming project. Our vendor suggested we use a 1756-IF16 analog input module for connecting to Raytek optical pyrometers ( output options of 4-20 ma, 0-20ma, 0 to 5 volts), returned to the analog input module with thermocouple wiring. I am a bit confused by the terms Single-Ended and Differential Current Application. I am much more familiar with the 1756-IF6I styled models, and I believe (maybe incorrectly) that this module would work for our app. To me it seems as though the single and differential current setup requires the power source to be the same through all of the sensors. The rayteks are typically supplied with an external 24Volt power supply, but their input can range from 12 to 24 volts DC. I read something somewhere about the voltage difference between the IN-0 and i RTN-0 being roughly 15volts. Ideally I would like to use the 1756-If16 single-ended current application but I do not know if this is possible or how to wire it. Any help or guidance to the appropiate resources would be greatly appreciated as the AB manuals haven't been of any help to me.

I am a bit confused by the terms Single-Ended and Differential Current Application. I am much more familiar with the 1756-IF6I styled models, and I believe (maybe incorrectly) that this module would work for our app.
I am not going to tell you if it will work in your application or not, but I will try to explain:
IF6I is isolated module, each channel is optically isolated for other channels.
IF16 does not have isolation between channels, they all referenced to the same RTN wire
In single ended mode return wires for each channel connected to RTN
In differential mode return signals connected to odd inputs and input used in pairs - this will compensate for noise and allows greater distances, but as result you have 8 channels instead of 16.
Ideally I would like to use the 1756-If16 single-ended current application but I do not know if this is possible or how to wire it.
See publication 1756-UM009 for details
for single ended current mode you will connect ALL iRTN and RTN terminals and this will be your return wire. Technically you will have jumper on the right side ot the RTB.