Panelview download problems

I am trying to make a couple of tiny changes in a panelview program. The changes have been made without problem. However, I cannot download them into the Panelview that the program came from. I uploaded the program from the panelview via a DHRIO module mounted on the backplane of a control logix 5000. After uploading without problems, I made my changes, saved them and attempted to download. When selecting the ethernet I desired, and the RIO module I uploaded from, I can see the Panelview I wish to download to. When I click ok under the download file tab, Panelbuilder identifies the terminal right away, verifies the application, and prepares it for transfer immediately. Where I get stuck is at the next step, which is the checking the operator terminal for compatibility. It freezes at this step, and then faults out with this fault. fault 1030:No commands recieved from the operator terminal. Anyone have any idea why this is or what this fault means?

Next I tried to hook up serially with an RSS232 cable. I added a new DF1 driver to the laptop, and when I try to configure it under configure drivers in Linx, I get nothing. It says to make sure the printer port is not enabled. We never enable them here, but just in case, I would check it. However, this is just a Panelview touchscreen, and I do not know how to open the panelview file to see those options. I know that I have the driver and correct cord, because I can connect serially to other panelviews. Can anyone tell me what the fault 1030 means, and how to correct it, or how to get into the panelview and make sure that the printer port is not enabled? These are very simple program changes, and I'd rather not have to replace the panelview just to make the changes functional. Thanks in advance.

Russ

This doesn't sound typical... I wonder if there's something wrong with the PanelView.

Your specific question: To get a touchscreen-only PanelView to go to the Configuration screen (if you don't have a Goto Config Screen pushbutton in your application) reboot it by cycling power. When a white square shows up in the lower-left corner of the touchscreen during the boot sequence, press and hold that touch cell. The terminal will come up at the configuration screen.

I almost always use ATA Flash memory cards for application transfer, because the PV application transfer utility is notoriously finicky.

I've only seen one defective PanelView in five years of dealing with them, but check and see if you can do a firmware upgrade. Bugs, those I've seen.

thanks

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. No, we do not have a pushbutton programmed to go to the configuration screen. I will power down and get there by way you have described. If the printer port is not enabled, I will be convinced there is something wrong with the Panelview as well. I had a couple of the wise men on days to check my work, and they both said everything should work fine, both ways I have tried to go about it. We do have a memory card for that Panelview in the cabinet, but I was skeptical as to whether it would help me in this situation. I guess it doesn't hurt to try anything. Thanks again for the help getting to the config screen.

Russ

In the field on Monday, I had the exact same problem that Russ is describing with the RS232 connection.:unsure:

I have a PanelView 1400 connected to ControlLogix via ControlNet.

I was connected to ControlNet with my laptop through a 1784-PCC PCMCIA card to modify the ControlLogix program. This is my usual method for downloading files to the PanelView as well.

My revision of PanelBuilder32 was not the same as the client's version, so I simultaneously connected the client's laptop to the PV via RS232. When attempting to transfer the PB32 file to the PV, the transfer hung up the same way as Russ described.

Since I was pressed for time, I just switched my PCC card over to the client's laptop and transferred the file over ControlNet (much nicer anyway) without researching the problem any further.

I would be interested in knowing the cause, however.

The client's laptop is the same machine (and software) on which I originally developed the application. The first time I transferred to the PV with this setup was via RS232. I'm sure the settings have not changed since then because I have just recently delivered the laptop to them and it has just been sitting in storage.

Thanks,

Phil

P.S. Hey Phil M., is this --> (n) the insult smilie? lolis

Still tryin

Well, I have finally gotten back to the problem at hand. I checked out the website that RSDoran posted. It seems to be well worth looking into, but there is a problem. I'm not understanding where the info they are talking about is configured. In short, it says partly way down, May get Error 1030 when downloading. This is exactly what I am talking about. I am trying to download via RSLinx, and this is the exact code I am getting, however, I don't understand from the material what to do about it? Any more input will help a lot. I am thinking now that the panelview is correct, and maybe something in it's configuration or the 5000 I'm talking thru is incorrect. I'm still scratching.

Russ

Well I tried the passthru connection first. I set up a RIO panelview talking to a DHRIO and me talking to the CPU through the serial port (DF1).

I was able to upload and download successfully using Passthru. The one little quirk was that when browsing through to the DHRIO module if I selected the RIO channel and then pressed OK to begin the download it would fail with an "unable to communicate" message. If I simply selected the DHRIO module (not any channels on the module) and pressed OK, the download was successful every time.

In the communications setup in PanelBuilder it defines which channel so we do not have to.

I will try the serial connection next!!

OG

After re-reading your post I have three questions.

#1 regarding the DHRIO module. You said you can "see" the PanelView terminal when browsing. This DHRIO card handles both Data Highway Plus (DH+) and Remote I/O (RIO). I guess I just assumed you were using RIO but you said you can "See" the PanelView and that suggests DH+ since you cannot browse the RIO network. So, which network is this using?

#2 Regarding your serial connection, do you have any other RSLinx drivers that are already using your serial port? You said you have the right cable, make certain you do because this is the exact response you get from an incorrect cable.

This cable should be a regualr straight thru style serial cable NOT a null modem cable. In other words it should not be the same cable you use to plug into your PLC.

#3 Software versions. What version of RSLinx and PanelBuilder are you using? Always, always, always include software version information.

OG

Sorry I took so long to get back. To answer your particular questions, I'm am pretty sure that the PB32 software is version 3.61. The Panelview in question is a Panelview 900, revision H FRN 4.00. I am sure that I have the correct cable, because I did talk to another Panelview 900 just to make sure. It began communicating immediately.

As far as the passthru download, I am using DH+. When downloading, I select the RS Linx Network, and from there I select the correct path. There is a DHRIO module on the backplane of the ControlLogix, and from there I select the channel that this particular PV is on. When I select that channel, it browses and can properly "see" this panelview and also the other one that is connected. My next step is to try a download to the other panelview that is on the same channel. I'll get back to you as soon as I know how that goes. Hopefully this is enough info to help you guys help me.

Russ

same thing

I have tried to download thru the network connection to the other panelview on that RIO module since my last post, and I get the exact same scenario. This means that something must be disabled or not configured correctly in Linx correct? I do think that the material in RSDOran's post is relevant, but I still cannot make heads or tails of where I'm going wrong with my connection. I'll keep digging around manuals and checking back here to see if anyone has any new ideas. Thanks for the help you've already given.

russ

Look further down in rsdorans link to the section titled controllogix. It states that FRN 4.10 is required for the panelview as well as other versions for the DHRIO, ENET, Pbuilder, etc. Looks like you'll have to upgrade the panelview 900.

Firmware link for panelview terminals

http://www.ab.com/support/products/panelview.html

Ok, I came across a tech note on Rockwell Software's web site that may be able to walk you through getting this set up properly.

I went to the site and typed in passthru and DHRIO and came up with several technotes. Specifically the one you want is A19584. This has a Word document that looks to have been written by a tech support engineer. Here is a link to the document. It literally walks you through this setup.

Technote Document on Ethernet/DHRIO Passthru

It is a monster link (in length that is!) so hopefully it comes through ok.

OG

Still same problem

Thanks for all the help guys. I went thru the tutorial, and some of the stuff was incorrect, however, I still cannot download this way. I still get the same error. Anyone else have anything to add to the tutorial maybe? I'm tired of this thing kickin my butt. :)

Russ

Maybe an update of RSLinx and PanelBuilder will clear this up. I know I ran into problems every once in a while with RSLinx 2.20. Version 2.31 is what I am using now and it has been rock solid so far. PanelBuilder is at 3.80.

RSLinx can be downloaded whether you are in warranty or not by selecting RSLinx Lite from the software download page. PanelBuilder would have to be in warranty to update. I think updating RSLinx would be my next step. That and a big cushion to sit on!

OG

Finally got it

Thanks to all that helped me with this. It was a major pain in the rear. I have come to find out that when I was setting up the routing tables in the RIO module, I was doing it correctly. The problem was in the fact that I set the workstation # to a specific IP address for the specific computer I was using. Where we got lost was that sometime, somewhere, someone reloaded windows, and when they did they set the I/P address on the computer to randomly pick the first free I/P address, rather than use the same one constantly. Therefore, when downloading, the Panelview was waiting for something coming from a certain IP address, and I was actually logged on to a different one. We simply changed the computer TCP/IP to log on the the correct address everytime, and away it went. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Russ