Relay guard master safety

Alan B

Can any help me this is a new style of safty relay to us and is very hard to trouble shoot can anyone give me and my coworkers tips on trouble shooting these.

It would help to know if this is a new instalation you are trying to get to work or if it is an existing system that was allready working.

The main quirk with these that I have run across is that if you have a gate switch in the e-stop chain and it has been opened you will need to push in/pull out one of the e-stop buttons before you can reset the safety circuit (AFTER the gate has been reclosed of course). It seems that when you close the gate the dual saftey contacts do not make simultaneously (or close enough to satisfy the safety relay).

Start trouble shooting by removing power from the relay and check the continuity between the start of each e-stop chain and it's respective end (I am assuming that this is a dual chanel safety relay). If you have continuity then check if either of the e-stop chains are grounded. Then make sure that you do not have continuity between the two e-stop chains (sometimes during installation if it is a large system I have acidentaly crossed the two e-stop chains, it will keep it from working). Correct all those issues as you find them and then the safety relay should work. This would be true of all the dual channel safety relays I have used (Pilz, A-B, Phoenix, etc).

Hope this helps,

Darren

Also,

These relays are very intolerent of bad contacts, (form memory I think the safety circuit needs to be <5ohms).

On a dual channel relay, if one channel goes open circuit, the other channel must also be broken before being reset (sorry if i'm repeating you dash!)