Red Lion for data logging

justint

Hi

Ive just started using a Red Lion modular controller and plan to apply it to a number of sites for data logging/reporting via a central server.
I have configured a number of PLC and SCADA jobs in the past but this is the 1st time Ive come across a sole data acquisition application.
I am planning to use the Red Lion unit to collect the data from a PLC via the RS485 comms on each site and send it as a CSV file to a central server via FTP. From here the data will be processed and a report compiled per site at periodic intervals, say once a month or week.
I have been reading through a number of posts on this forum and have noted that perhaps CSV is not the best option when it comes to data logging and that this is mostly due to the limitation on the amount of data that can be stored in an excell file.

I would be interested to know if there are any thoughts on my approach to this problem and if maybe I should be looking into alternative methods of data transfer.

Thanks

Justin

I don't see anything wrong with a csv file if that is what the redlion outputs. xml data may be easier to use if connecting to a database with an automated collection routine in a .net application or something similar.

Another data collection method would be something like an OPC Server with Logger to a database. Where you need serial data use an ethernet to serial converter.

For example:

http://www.kepware.com/Products/OPC_Data_Logger.asp or
http://www.matrikonopc.com/products/opc-archiving/opc-client-for-odbc.aspx

Thanks Gerry M
Im glad you said that because Ive been playing with the Red Lion unit and it seems to be a good piece of kit, esp when interfacing with existing PLCs.
I do feel that this is the tip of the ice berg for data logging and will hopefully get the chance to use other options such as OPC in the future.

justin