Identify this DC Motor Controller....

johnd_125

The pictures represent a DC Motor Controller for a 50HP DC Motor controlling an extruder on a Bekum Blow Molding Machine. The customer has not been able to supply me with any documentation on this controller. Other than the "VS" on the front, I haven't seen any nameplate on it, at least on the outside.

Does anyone know who the manufacturer of this might be? I'd like to get my hands on some more info., or a manual....

DCController2.jpg

DCController1.jpg

Thanks!!

I believe that is a Reliance drive. Allen Bradley owns the brand now and if you can get the customer to give you a model number, then they have literature on their website.

Good luck

I believe that is a Reliance drive. Allen Bradley owns the brand now and if you can get the customer to give you a model number, then they have literature on their website.

Good luck

Good One, Mark. Yes, it IS a Reliance VS drive.

P.S. Love the wire nut below the terminal. Classic.

Last edited:
P.S. Love the wire nut below the terminal. Classic.

Wire nuts should be permanently banned IMHO.

I like the burned backplane next to the drive. And the fact that all the wireway covers are probably laying in the bottom of the cabinet.

Reminds me of many of the places that I've worked.

Yes, but only after they ban terminal blocks that are too small for two wires. . .

The irony, and the reason for my comment, is that the "WireNutter" could have avoided using it, and also avoided jamming two wires on the drive terminal, simply by taking a few minutes and ADDING a terminal block to the DIN rail that's ALREADY THERE, an inch or two below.

I'm willing to understand in areas where there's "no room", or the wires were terminated too short...but this is just not that case.

wire nuts

Although not using the wire nut would be the preferred method to wiring the drive it usually is not the most efficient method at the time of wiring. I think we have all been in a situation when it is 2 or 3 in the morning, we get a call and the machine is down!! Oh yes, our focus is on making sure that we take the extra time to locate the terminal blocks. Correctly label all of the wires, put the panduit back on and make it pretty. That takes priority. Once we use the find a fast and dirty way to get the machine running...it is usually forgotten about until the next time.

Rarely is there a time that we can fix something correctly after we have put a band aid on it to work!

Just my two cents worth.

Rarely is there a time that we can fix something correctly after we have put a band aid on it to work!

Boy is that true, once the doors are closed out of sight out of mind. Don't fix something that's working.

Thanks for the responses, I DID find manuals on AB's website.

As far as the WireNutter in The Land of the Lost Duct Covers, if it wasn't for guys like them there would be no need for guys like me! Rock On!!

Just wondering, how many out there regularly use wire ferrules? They have their uses but from a panel builder's perspective they are too labor intensive among other drawbacks.
I have been using them for at least the past 15 years. Only takes a few extra seconds.

🍻

-Eric