Automatic tag export and sending via email?

PLC_Carl

Hi there,

This is my first post on these forums so i'll say Hi here!

I've got a bit of a query, relatable to analytics and getting data out of a PLC and emailing that data to relevant personnel...

We are using studio 5000 version 30 and on our machines we have shift statistics which records relevant information regarding the performance of the machine for that particular shift. When the shift ends, and a new shift starts, we are going to fill a data array using the FIFO instruction. (twice per day / 2 shifts per day)

However, at the end of of each week; the production manager would like all of the information regarding shift performance for the whole week. The best and most ideal solution would be to automatically export specific tags and then email those specified tags in a .csv file from the PLC; my main issue is that i am struggling to implement this as the export f

Any information regarding this issue would be a great help!

Kind regards,
Carl.

Hi Janner,

Yes we have a PVP6 I believe, I'll have a quick look at this in the morning!

The current PLC we are using is a 5069-L330ERM Compact Logix.

Cheers,
Carl.

Sounds like a job for AdvancedHMI...

I'm doing the same thing for testers here at the plant. It collects the shift and daily totals and then resets them for the next day. Simple and free.

He has all the tools to do the job already, why would he need Advanced HMI?

Because it is much easier to do data handling in Advanced (or just about any other PC based HMI) ?

---

I know .csv formats are very popular for data export, but manipulation and reporting is limited, any reason you (OP) wouldn't just pump everything into a database and then generate reports from there? SQL Server isn't all that expensive, and MySQL still has free versions even after the Oracle takeover.

I presume Advanced HMI would be for more complex data analytics and number crunching?

All we need is to create a UDT within our PLC software, FIFO from existing tags into the array of UDT's for each shift change and then email the data at the end of the week for the manager?

I'll now give the article a read and try to generate a test email.

Cheers,
Carl.

Because it is much easier to do data handling in Advanced (or just about any other PC based HMI) ?

---

I know .csv formats are very popular for data export, but manipulation and reporting is limited, any reason you (OP) wouldn't just pump everything into a database and then generate reports from there? SQL Server isn't all that expensive, and MySQL still has free versions even after the Oracle takeover.

This is an existing machine and I believe our client, at the moment, is reluctant to spend any money on a server at this moment in time. However, we will look into this for future machines although the downside of this is that our customer's would require personnel for data management as we don't necessarily offer this service. Unfortunately, our customers generally wouldn't have personnel who is capable of managing system like this and would like it to all be automated with as little human interaction as possible.

He has all the tools to do the job already, why would he need Advanced HMI?

Hi Janner,

I am currently working through the article; do I need to have a mail relay server? not used one of these before so i am slightly stuck on the bottom of page 84.

Cheers,
Carl.

Hi Janner,

I am currently working through the article; do I need to have a mail relay server? not used one of these before so i am slightly stuck on the bottom of page 84.

Cheers,
Carl.

We have done job whereby the customer gives us an email address to send from, failing that Gmail is also very easy to use.

---

Yup, well said. It's what we do, and we use different HMIs (Rockwell and Proface), which is no problem at all if you use AdvancedHMI.

We don't have any trouble with RSLinx (since we aren't using it). But our CCT (scheduling and tracking) still does, and RSLinx went down last Saturday, causing about a couple hours worth of downtime.

So I can think of a few reasons. :)

I presume Advanced HMI would be for more complex data analytics and number crunching?

All we need is to create a UDT within our PLC software, FIFO from existing tags into the array of UDT's for each shift change and then email the data at the end of the week for the manager?

I'll now give the article a read and try to generate a test email.

Cheers,
Carl.

It can be used for that. Or as a stand-alone HMI. It's dead simple to use, and rock solid.

Personally, I think that we should elevate Archie to sainthood. :)