OSHA requirements....

escoplcguy

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could give me info (or where to find it) for powered roller conveyors. I am installing E-stop pull cords along our new conveyor and i want to be sure i put all the pull cords in correctly. Questions i have thought of were, How far below top of roller must the cable be and how far away from the conveyor? how far can a singe cable extend, and what do i do about objects in the path of the cable.

Among others, Lovegreen Risk Management, and Banner do rope pull switches. Have you asked your supplier for suggestions ?

I've used many miles of rope switches in the past. There is no OSHA document that dictate the installation. I've mostly used AB Lifeline switches ( http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Push-Buttons/Lifeline-4-Cable-Pull-Switches#/tab5 ). My installation was slightly above the powered conveyor rollers attached to the side rails. I also attached a Banner EZ light to the switch (green for OK - flashing red for tripped).

The attachment to the side rails were done with forged eyebolts (not the cheaper bent style). Support on the cable is about every 10 feet, but check with the switch manufacturer.

Length is dictated by the switch manufacturer. There is a dead zone at the switch termination. I use a tensioner kit (very helpful for long runs).

Most of the long runs require a switch at both ends (125 meters is about the max).

All turns are done with pulleys. Use the kind that prevent the cable from falling out (even though the slack detection will find it).

I keep the cords about 4 inches away from the conveyor to allow the operator to grab.

All switches go to a safety controller which can be programmed for zones if needed (I like the Banner SC-22).

As stated, perform a risk assessment to determine the risk and how to safely mitigate that risk.

I agree with Bruce there are almost no OSHA guidelines or requirements for "pull rope" shutdowns on conveyers.

Yes OSHA does require guarding at both the driving and idle end rollers. Also guarding where people can walk under the coveyers and guards around the counterweights.

The important thing to know here is what does the conveyer convey and where and what does it convey to - in other words what is the risk you are trying to manage?

There was a case in Oregon where a guy fell into a scrap conveyer feeding veneer waste to a chipper. He could not climb out and had both legs chipped off before others in crew could get there and pull him out. Moral of the story is the pull ropes are a good thing if IF they are put in correctly and MAINTAINED.

Dan Bentler

I most of the MDR conveyor that I've seen could be stopped/stalled by putting your hand on the roller and grabbing it. This may affect the amount of safety that you need to build in around it.

-John