Crimson V 3.0 Data logger access from IP

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have my data logger set up and it is recording data to my compact flash card. As of right now, I must remove the card and plug it into my card reader on my laptop to view the data. If I am reading the manual correctly it appears as though I should be able to access the data via Ethernet, after setting up the web server. Has anyone here set up the network and successfully accessed data from the HMI from a remote device?

It really is 'just that easy'.

I happen to have a G306A here on my desk and after reading your question I dug out a CompactFlash card, turned off power, and installed the card.

Before I had the CompactFlash card installed, viewing the G306A's web page and clicking 'View Continuous Logs' went nowhere. Now it gives me a directory of logs, then a list of CSV files.

In my case, this is the URL: http://192.168.1.8/logs/Log1/

Similarly, you can access the same file using FTP: ftp://192.168.1.8/logs/log1/

The first CSV file took 2 minutes to show up. As you're probably aware, the G3 stores datalog memory in RAM and only writes to the CF card every 2 minutes.

If you want to save the data to CF without waiting for the 2 minute buffer timer, use the function 'LogSave();' in an action in Crimson 3 (often a pushbutton).

I just tested this and it works just like I expected it to. You don't want to save to CF every single record, because that would wear out the CF card prematurely.

It really is 'just that easy'.

You weren't kidding Ken. All I had to do was put my IP address in the M***plorer search engine and there everything was. I am used to this requiring third-party software and time to set it up. This was so easy I couldn't believe it. Thanks for your help.

If you happen to still be working on this tonight, would you do a little test for me ?

Set your Data Log for 'Allow Comments' = Yes.

Add a button and make its action Complex, and just put in one function:

LogComment(1, "Insert this text as a Comment");

Run the project on your terminal, wait for a CF save, then check the data log for that line.

I've been trying to make LogComment and LogHeader work, and they just don't on my system. I'm running Crimson 3 build number 502.001, but considering doing an upgrade to 548.001 to see if it addresses this feature not working.

I'm not totally sure what they mean by the 'Log index'. I'm guessing it means that 1= the current log, 2= the log previous to that, and so on.

Call that off... I figured it out with help from a post from Jeremy Howell a while ago, here on PLCTalk.net.

The 'Index' of the datalog has to do with its order of the Data Log's creation in Crimson 3.

If you only have one datalog, it will probably be Index = 0.

But not necessarily; you can re-order them, or delete the first one you made. The only way to be sure is to look at the upper right hand corner of the Data Logger Setup window for the Log number.

I used the Index = 1, from the syntax example in the Reference Manual. Once I changed it to 0, the LogComment function worked the way I expected.

The LogHeader didn't, though... it appears to work just like LogComment. That's a project for tomorrow.

If you happen to still be working on this tonight, would you do a little test for me ?

Set your Data Log for 'Allow Comments' = Yes.

Add a button and make its action Complex, and just put in one function:

LogComment(1, "Insert this text as a Comment");

Run the project on your terminal, wait for a CF save, then check the data log for that line.

I've been trying to make LogComment and LogHeader work, and they just don't on my system. I'm running Crimson 3 build number 502.001, but considering doing an upgrade to 548.001 to see if it addresses this feature not working.

I'm not totally sure what they mean by the 'Log index'. I'm guessing it means that 1= the current log, 2= the log previous to that, and so on.

I have Gold Build 523.003 and when I did as you requested, it did nothing. Theoretically this is supposed to give one the ability to input remarks that will show up on the data logger, correct?