SIEMENS S5 Questions...How to Upload a Project from a PLC to Laptop???

Grzyb

Hi All,

Here is the situation. I can Navigate my way around S7, But have never encountered S5!!!

A friend of mine has recently changed Jobs & has bought a SIEMENS SIMATIC FIELD PG M4, The Rolls-Royce of Laptops, It comes with Two Partitions a Win7 & a WinXP Step 5 One,

It comes with an Array of Cables & Software, All Properly Licensed & Authorised. The Laptop works on S7 CPU's using the Win7 Partition & MPI Black Cable provided,

But he can't get it to connect to a S5 CPU using the 25-Way Com1/v.24 to 15-Way PLC Beize Cable....Do you need the PLC Project File to be able to Connect,? Or should it connect Automatically? The Project went missing a long time ago, so he was hoping to "suck" it from the PLC, But if he can't connect, Is there another way to retrieve/Backup the Program....

Is there any test that can be done to make sure that the Comms Port on the CPU is working? I have read on the Online Manual of the PG M4, that the Device needs to be switched-Off before Connection. Does It mean the PLC or Laptop, Or Both??

When S5 Is Installed, Does the Comms Setting Default to something other than the Required? Where Can You Specify What Comms Setting you are using to Connect to a PLC?

Is there a Tutorial/Online Source Available which Explains how to Connect & Upload a PLC Program on an S5 PLC to a Laptop/PC

Sorry for all the Newbie Questions...All Help Gratefully received...

TIA

Grzyb

Is there any test that can be done to make sure that the Comms Port on the CPU is working? I have read on the Online Manual of the PG M4, that the Device needs to be switched-Off before Connection. Does It mean the PLC or Laptop, Or Both??

There shoud be no need to recycle the PLC

When S5 Is Installed, Does the Comms Setting Default to something other than the Required? Where Can You Specify What Comms Setting you are using to Connect to a PLC?

Allways default: 9600,8,E,1. I think it is unchangeable.

Kalle

I also use an m4 pg for programming s5.

Mine came with a tan colored db25->db15 cable

6ES5734-2BF00

when you open s5, go to project settings and make sure you toggle it online.

Thanks for all your help...

Having read somewhere else that you Hit F4, with the Cable connected...It brings up the Connection Screen, where you can change the Interface Used, & either Hit the F3 or Space Bar to initiate a Connection, I believe that Connection to the PLC should now be possible...

The Other question still remains, what is the best way to "save" a copy of the current PLC? I understand that without the Original PLC File, any Backup will not have any comments etc, But it would be prudent to have a working backup just in case!!!!