PanelView Plus 7 Performance edition to SLC 5/05 over ethernet

mjggjm12

Will a PVP7 talk to an SLC 5/05. I can't get them to talk. I have set up PVPs to Control and Compact logix plenty of times, but can't get these to talk. Are these 2 devices compatible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I called Rockwell and they helped me. the problem is I I had my topic name for the tag import different than my runtime target shortcut name. I guess I'm just used to using offline tag files with Logix 5000 so I didn't think about the name when I was importing the .EAS file from Logix 500.

The SLC-5/05 would have to be 20 years old or so to be incompatible with PanelView Plus.

The original SLC-5/05 controllers only supported the A-B proprietary Ethernet protocol called "Client-Server Protocol version 4".

All but the very first Series A hardware SLC-5/04 controllers (1993-1995 or so) can be firmware upgraded to support both CSPv4 and EtherNet/IP.

All SLC-5/05's that have the "Series C" network daughtercard that supports 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet definitely support both CSPv4

One way to infer which protocol your controller supports is to try to browse it with the "Ethernet Devices" driver and the "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic. If it only shows up in the older Ethernet Devices driver, then it's probably a very old CSPv4 only controller.

You can also look at the Series and FRN number using RSLinx Classic, right-clicking to show Device Properties. FRN5 and later controllers support EtherNet/IP.

Edit: I sometimes take a long time to provide details that are overtaken by events !

One way to infer which protocol your controller supports is to try to browse it with the "Ethernet Devices" driver and the "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic. If it only shows up in the older Ethernet Devices driver, then it's probably a very old CSPv4 only controller.

How does this follow in Controllogix? I have some ControlLogix machines with eNBT cards and some will show with the ethernet IP driver and some just won't but the units that won't show wit the ethernet IP driver will show with the ethernet devices driver but you have to know the IP address to use it where the ethernet IP driver will find the addresses.

Not sure why some enbt will not show on the ethernet IP driver though.

That's a great question, Tim !

The "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic sends out a broadcast packet with the CIP Command "List Identity". Every device that receives that packet should reply with its Identity Object, which RSLinx uses to create the graphical browse schema.

The "Ethernet Devices" driver, by contrast, makes individual TCP connections to the devices in its station list.

Every 1756-ENBT should work with the "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic. There are certainly specific configuration, network mask, VPN, etc issues that might affect the driver, but as far as I know the 1756-ENBT has always responded to the EtherNet/IP driver browse.

Some devices, including the SLC-5/05 Series A or the 1756-ENET from 20+ years ago, do not support that broadcast packet method and will not appear in the EtherNet/IP driver browse.

This is "as far as I know". There may be some firmware subtleties that are outside my recollection, especially on a Monday morning.