USB rfid reader/writer

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking to see if someone can suggest one of these for me, something ideally compact, and not insanely expensive. I'll end up buying probably 4 of them.

We are using baluff's as our main write/read heads, but I would like something I can plug into a desktop.

Thanks

The EPC Gen2 tags make it fairly easy because they are probably the most popular. I have only personally used Ethernet readers for Gen2 tags, so I do not have any personal experience with USB versions.

Do you need a reader/antenna combo like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RFID-ME-USB-Dongle-Reader/dp/B0050MBFE8

Or do you need a USB reader with the ability to connect a remote antenna? Or even possibly a handheld scanner like this:

https://www.barcodesinc.com/motorola/part-ds9808-sr7c1u16ar.htm#specs

Archie, this is the sequence that I am planning to implement.

• 1. Batch#/Date/Part# are stored on the tag, and then basket is loaded onto a que conveyor for the next process.
    2. Basket is processed.
    3. Basket exits onto another conveyor and reaches a checkpoint.
    4. Operator reads RFID information and interfaces with a computer for print a new router card.
    5. Parts are moved to a new container.
    6. Operator uses the "device" to write a generic value to the tag which system wide identifies an empty basket.

I am hoping to find something similar to a barcode reader that's for RFID's and can also write to tags.

Just an update

I spoke with the programmer today about the process flow today, and he was able to help clear up exactly what I needed to do. Tags are only written when loading into the system, and if the basket hasn't gone through that sequence the tag data remains until it has.

We are making a really smart dumb conveyor with a 1200, and trying to keep within the memory constraints can be a doozie.

I ordered a couple Alien Technology ALR-H450 hand scanners today.