RSlinx Error Msg. "unable to read module's port configuration"

joanemid

Hi All

Whenever i try to change the IP address of a compact logix PLC from RSlinx, this message appears to me "unable to read module's port configuration. the default values will be shown"

Two of my colleagues are having the same issue from long time till now & they can't change the IP address of any device whether they are connected through ethernet or USB cable.

I tried to uninstall & install studio5000 (including Rslinx) & didn't work, I tried to delete harmony files & didn't work.

Have any of you gone through the same issue before, if yes could pls guide me how to solve it ?

Any suggestions from experts would be much appreciated.

RSlinx version: 3.90
Note: I can ping the PLC & see it on the network. I can also connect/download to the plc using RSlogix5000

Last edited:
Has the PLC been powered down?

Anytime I do any IP stuff with Rockwell gear I power cycle, and then when I'm done with whatever I'm doing, I power cycle again.

Rockwell and IP addresses have bit me a couple of times, so it's just habit.

Power cycle, configure, power cycle, test, power cycle confirm.

The problem is not in the plc, bcoz i face the same issue with other PLC's & different networks. I think there is something wrong with Rslinx.

Yes i power cycle the PLC.

I am pretty sure also it is RSlinx corruption file, as i couldn't change the IP address of any device in any network. Unfortunately i don't have TechConnect to access to article 606759

Same issue with two 1756-EN2T, same rack.

Uninstalled/reinstalled rslinx (v4.12). Did not resolve issue.
Upgraded modules firmware to 11.002. Did not resolve issue.
Reset module to factory settings (switches to 888). Did not resolve issue.
Connected with another computer (rslinx v4.12). Issue resolved. :confused:

Any ways, modules had no problem connecting to a dhcp server and accepting an IP address. I could access the modules and rack through ethernet. I just could not change the IP through rslinx once it was set through the dhcp server.

So temporary solution for now is use another computer... does not solve the problem, but does provide a band-aid. 🍻

Last edited: