Kinetix 350 Safety torque off signal problem

cocoroco89

Hi,

I have installed Kinetix 350 and Omron safety contorller(G9SP-N20S) and wired 2 of safety output signals from Omron safety to Kinetix 350, but somehow Servo drive does not go to ready status. I am getting 24V pulse out of the both output signal from Omron safety. Then I jumped normal 24VDC to Servo drive and now it becomes ready status. Could someone explain why this happening?

Hi,

I have installed Kinetix 350 and Omron safety contorller(G9SP-N20S) and wired 2 of safety output signals from Omron safety to Kinetix 350, but somehow Servo drive does not go to ready status. I am getting 24V pulse out of the both output signal from Omron safety. Then I jumped normal 24VDC to Servo drive and now it becomes ready status. Could someone explain why this happening?

While we didnt have this exact same issue but we had a similar issue with a Guardmaster 440R-M23203 safety relay from Rockwell. What happened was occasionally the safe torque off signal would "disappear" causing the drive to lose its enable signal. We discovered this only after putting an oscilloscope on the signal coming from the M23203. The size of the pulses that were coming from the M23203 were not within the tolerances of the Servo's safe torque off signal. As this safety relay is an older model, it was designed to work with safety contacters, so if the pulses were a little bit different it didn't matter because the mechanical contacters are not fast enough to respond so they stay in the state their in. However the safe torque off circuitry could react quickly enough and hence the problems.

Perhaps this may be the issue for you, or perhaps not but I thought I´d share. If you can put a scope on the output signal of the relay you may be able to discover this.

Regards
Ian

I agree with Ian it is usually the pulse width or lack there of. Change the safety output to no pulsing and watch the problem go away. If you can change it add 2 safety rated relays so that the G9 pulls in the relays and supplies the 24+ constant. You didn't state the Cat or Pl of the system. Depending on the level of safety you need make sure you get feedback from all associated devices.

To expand on Usireland's reply, I believe you need to make sure your outputs on the G9SP are configured as *without* pulse test. I think it's called something like "Other 1 Safety PNP Outputs w/o Pulse Test." They might not have a dual PNP option without pulse test but you can set up two singles and activate them redundantly in the logic.

The pulse test option is there to detect shorts in the signal. I've found that it can generally hold a relay coil closed (although you can hear the contacts shifting if you listen close), but a solid state input like a STO could possibly pick up the pulse edges and trip. I'm guessing that's what you are experiencing.

I've not used the STO on the kinetix before, but something else to check is the zero volt reference...if the outputs from your safety PLC have a different zero volt reference to your kinetix, it definitely won't work.

If the above is all OK, then I suspect the posts above have you covered :)

While we didnt have this exact same issue but we had a similar issue with a Guardmaster 440R-M23203 safety relay from Rockwell. What happened was occasionally the safe torque off signal would "disappear" causing the drive to lose its enable signal. We discovered this only after putting an oscilloscope on the signal coming from the M23203. The size of the pulses that were coming from the M23203 were not within the tolerances of the Servo's safe torque off signal. As this safety relay is an older model, it was designed to work with safety contacters, so if the pulses were a little bit different it didn't matter because the mechanical contacters are not fast enough to respond so they stay in the state their in. However the safe torque off circuitry could react quickly enough and hence the problems.

Perhaps this may be the issue for you, or perhaps not but I thought I´d share. If you can put a scope on the output signal of the relay you may be able to discover this.

Regards
Ian

I appreciate your information. I did some research on the manual and found out that this device was not designed for pulse test for STO. So, I order safety rated relays and problem solved.