1769-L18ER to Plant Network

jatkinson924

I'm needing some help in connecting a few 1769-L18ER controllers to our plant network for remote connection to my PC. My issue is each controller has multiple devices connected to it thru Ethernet IP but I'm only needing to connect the controller to the plant network. I would like to keep the devices connected to the controller off our plant network due unnecessary traffic and limited IP addresses. What are some recommendation on this issue or products?

This is a very common use of a "Network Address Translation" (NAT) device.

These are essentially little routers that can represent your automation devices on your local automation network (like 192.168.1.x) as addresses on your enterprise network (like 10.4.1.x).

You can translate for all of the devices on the local network (called a 1:1 NAT setup) or just the CPU itself. That generally requires you to physically connect at the workcell to access non-CPU devices, or use another router or VPN technology to get to those devices.

As noted, Rockwell sells one of these that's appropriate for small workcells and also supports the DLR ring protocol, called the 1783-NATR.

Keep the PLC on the Network and NAT through to the local devices.

E WO N or AB NAT will do this easily.

Last edited:
Be sure to keep the plc's away from the corporate side of the plant.
create a network that only maintenance guys can see , and the programmers.

if you don't corporate engineers and others will want the software installed on their pc's to see the system running and they will make changes to timers, counters, speeds.... without a clue as to why the values are at that value.

this also adds a firewall between the plc's and the outside world to keep hackers out. we use kerio to remote into the plant network from home to troubleshoot plc's.

james